"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Sunday 15 August 2010

Guitar Workshop, Sat 14/08/10



Feeling a lightness of spirit, providing a welcome respite from the gnawing stress of a deeply worrying family matter.

Music, the great soother of the spirit. Went to a guitar workshop presented by Wayne (Bosch) yesterday afternoon. It was well organised, and I felt privileged to be part of the programme. In the first half, Wayne performed, first with Arthur Petersen, an accomplished guitarist, and then with me as a vocalist. We did three songs, in which he demonstrated three aspects of accompaniment. What a different feeling to performing at a gig! The people were sitting close by, in rows, concentrating on the performance, and I think we were both affected by the intensity of it all, because we goofed up the second song! Oops! There was a short interval, at the end of which Wayne picked up his guitar and played a beautiful rendition of "Take 5", showing his prowess as a soloist.

The second half was more of a focussed tutorial. He summarised, with demonstrations (by him and Arthur) throughout, three approaches to improvisation in a jazz context. Even though I'd been exposed to the content in my two years of lessons with him, it was still interesting to have the whole concept set out the way he did in the workshop. I liked the smooth, uncomplicated way the two guitarists communicated, with Arthur having to repeatedly stop and start the accompaniment to Wayne's improvisation. I must admit, I started losing concentration one and a half hours into the programme, a fact I included in my feedback to him. In most situations in life, timing is very important. I fully subscribe to the tenet, "less is more".

I liked the overall feel of the workshop, obviously influenced by the venue. It was unpretentious, yet well-structured. Wayne came across well, clearly knowledgeable and passionate. As a teacher, I couldn't help viewing the proceedings with a critical eye on his didactic approach in the workshop context, and I have to say I was impressed. The session came across as well thought out, and the Virgo in me appreciated the symmetry of it all.

Everyone seemed to be lapping up the information, and I have a feeling most of us will make a point of going to all his future workshops. If you're reading this and you're a guitarist and you weren't at the workshop, I'd strongly recommend that you go to the next one. Even if you play another instrument or are a vocalist, I'd highly recommend it. There's so much to learn, and this is a wonderful opportunity to do so from a truly great musician.

Last night, our Food Lover's Market gig went exceptionally well, and I ended my day with a warm, satisfied glow.

Pictures: Arthur Petersen (above) and Wayne Bosch at yesterday's guitar workshop.

1 comment:

  1. Wayne Bosch is among the finest guitarists and students of music in South Africa. His committed and inquisitive, scholarly investigation of his instrument and its possibilities sets him apart from his peers.

    Likewise, his teaching is polished and immaculate and I'm not the least surprised by his preparedness for this workshop, neither its over-subscribed length, no doubt due to the intensity of his commitment. I know Wayne to be one who strives for the highest musical standards and I trust that he will obtain opportunities to take his noteworthy talent to the wider world.

    Well done, and thanks for posting this, Trudy.

    Paul Sedres
    Paris,
    France

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to place a comment here.