"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Thursday 2 June 2011

Thirsty (Written 06/05/11)



Picture: Colourful hanging glass bottles(?), taken in the grounds of the tranquil Montebello, in Newlands, Cape Town, in March this year.

00:45

Do you know what I feel the most, after a gig? Thirsty! In fact, having just downed a glass of water with a liberal dash each of orange and berry juice - it can never just be simple and straight up – I am about to drink my customary cup of green tea, as well as a tall glass of ice water!

But that’s not all I feel after a gig. I feel a huge adrenalin rush, which keeps me up way after I should get to sleep! I know that, later this morning, I’m going to want to scream, when that alarm goes off at 05:20!

My Thursday nights at Don Pedro, where I’ve had a solo gig since the end of February, have become very interesting indeed, and what I particularly love is that everything’s deliciously unpredictable. For me to be okay with that, and find it a good thing, shows just how much I’ve changed. Let me put it this way: according to my astrological birth chart, my Sun, Moon and Ascendant are all in Virgo, which makes me three times a Virgo. If you know anything about typical Virgo characteristics, imagine being 300% endowed with those traits! Well, that’s me. That probably explains a couple of things! :-)

Two weeks ago, I decided to depart from my usual repertoire of covers with a few originals thrown in, and do a whole night of my own compositions. It actually went very well, and people enjoyed my songs. I derived a lot of encouragement from the comments and feedback. Last week, I did quite a lot of originals, with just a few covers thrown in. But last week had a magic of its own: I did my second set with ERROL DYERS, a guitarist I’ve admired for years! I thought he’d play while I sang, but he insisted I play my guitar, and what an experience that was! I played and sang my own songs and he played around my playing. It was really a dream come true, and I felt like the luckiest, most blessed person on the planet. I enjoyed it more than anyone present could ever realize, although I think my Cheshire-cat grin and my air punching may have given them an idea! Some of my friends were there, and they took photos – I’d really like to get copies. Long before I met him, I liked Errol. He has a style of playing that constantly takes one by surprise. I watched him play at Theatre in the District, about two years ago, and I had goosebumps for his entire performance. I think that besides his incredible playing, he has a heart-warming smile and he’s so laid-back and ‘chilled’, that I can’t help but be fascinated by him. And there I was, on stage with him, playing my own compositions. Hard to describe, but let’s just say it was one of those memories I’ll cherish for the rest of my life. Definitely worth a blog post!

Tonight was yet another special Thursday night – firstly, my cousin (and best friend) Tracy went with me, and that in itself meant I’d have a fabulous time. During my break, a friend and his wife walked in, and that was a lovely surprise – Mark Kleinschmidt, who’d played Demetrius to my Helena, decades ago. I mean it: decades! Nice to see him, all these years later.

But the undeniable highlight of the evening was connecting with musician HILTON SCHILDER after a long time, and then having the pleasure of doing my second set with him! Hilton and I had done a bit of work together in the past, and in fact we’d recorded 16 of my originals in 2006. That recording project was never completed, and the tracks are still being kept for me. One day,……..

So, Hilton sat next to me on stage and played along with me on his melodica, which is basically a small hand-held piano that you blow into through a mouthpiece to produce a sound. Interesting sound. Particular, peculiar, needs a cultured ear. Once again, I did originals, with a few covers thrown in. Later, he accompanied me on djembe drums. SO COOL doing my material with Hilton, a prolific giant of a composer and someone who’s recorded quite a few CDs.

And now, with my patience running out for this tumble dryer (kids’ school uniforms, needed for tomorrow!), I think I’ll call it a night - have a speed-shower and get to bed, to SLEEEEEEEEEEP! If I can get to bed by 2, I’d have just about 3 and a half hours’ sleep. I should grab it. Tomorrow’s my mother’s 81st birthday, so another late night ahead.

How do I feel? Incredibly tired, sleepy, eyelids droopy, shoulders slouchy, can’t stop yawning. But you know what the overwhelming feeling is? Happiness!

It’s time, Trudy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.