"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Wednesday 20 July 2011

Concert News


Picture by Lavonne Bosman: Charles Lazar, Wayne Bosch and I at Baran's in March 2010.

I’ve just secured the Nassau Hall, in Palmyra Road, Newlands, for a concert on Friday 7 October 2011. I’m SO excited, because I have fantastic plans for this one - which musicians I want to work with, and how I want this concert to be different from my others.

ORIGINAL CONCERTS TO DATE:
In November 2005, I did a three-concert series, called “TIME WITH TRUDY”, at a quaint art gallery in Buitenkant Street, Cape Town. On each night, I performed two sets of my own songs, accompanied by the magician himself, HILTON SCHILDER, on keyboards, melodica, guitar and some interesting Khoi instruments, including a bow. That series was organized by Dala Flat Music, a record label I’ve enjoyed a positive association with.

In December 2009, I did my next original concert, called “MUSIC INSIDE OF ME”, at Baran’s Kurdish Restaurant on the historic Greenmarket Square, in the centre of our beautiful city. Accompanying me were WAYNE BOSCH (guitar) and CHARLES LAZAR (double bass). As a novelty, and by way of giving him some exposure to the world of public performance, I featured my son, NICK GEFFEN (aged 14 at the time), on drums, on five of the items.

I followed this up with a second concert with the same name, at the same venue, in March 2010. Once again, I worked with Wayne and Charles. Both concerts were recorded by Andrè Manuel, of Dala Flat Music.

I’ve since put together a mini-CD, called “EXTRACTS”, of five songs recorded at the second concert:
1. My Favourite Time of Day (2007)
2. Lucy (2010)
3. Slide Across The Moon (2001)
4. Unafraid to Fall (2007)
5. Wendy Gave Me A Lavender Plant (2006)
Anyone interested in buying the CD should e-mail me at rushintrudy@yahoo.com.

My next concert, in September 2010, was also held at Baran’s, and this time I had other artists doing the first half. This concert was called “MUSIC AND WORDS”. The guest artists were singer-songwriter, PETER LAVEY, vocalist MEGAN FRANCIS and poet, DIANA FERRUS. I did a duo set of my originals with Wayne, and this time we included a few songs we hadn’t performed before. Unfortunately we didn’t record this concert.

So, now that I have a DATE and a VENUE for my next concert, I have my work cut out for me. There are always pros and cons to selecting dates, but I had to work with the availability of the venue, as well as my own time parameters. This date is in the week of the school holidays, so that could rule out some people. The main thing is, I have eleven weeks in which to put it all together. Yay - a lovely project to sink my teeth into! This fuels me.

All I can say is, watch this space…….!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.