"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Friday 14 September 2012

National Women's Day (South Africa) & Dr Dawn Garisch

Written 09 August 2012

Today we commemorated the day in 1956, when thousands of South African women marched in protest against the unjust system of government at the time, specifically against the Pass Laws. Funny how it’s become a day when different groups organize pamper parties, etc. for women. I suppose, because it’s a public holiday and the focus is on women, it’s become open to interpretation. So what did I do, besides the usual domestic and family stuff? I was invited to join a good friend and some of her friends at a women’s breakfast in aid of St Luke’s Hospice, a very worthy cause.

For me, it was a hugely significant morning. The guest speaker was Dr Dawn Garisch, a medical doctor who’s also a writer. I was intrigued by the way she introduced herself as “a writer who does some doctoring” – her point being that you can choose how you want to describe or define yourself. This, of course, is something I feel passionate about.

Dawn Garisch is someone who played an important role in my life, six years ago. I called a MediCross centre, asked for an appointment, and she was the doctor assigned to me. I thought I had a fish bone stuck in my throat, but she couldn’t find anything there. She did, however, give me a thorough examination and found that I had some other problem, which necessitated surgery. It was a major turning point in my life, and I have her to thank for it. Her thoroughness resulted in timeous intervention, which saved me from further complications. I will always be grateful for how she conducted herself that day, both during the examination as well as when she counseled me about the surgery.

A few things about today’s gathering are on my mind. Firstly, it was really nice to be part of a huge group of women, coming together for such a worthy cause, relaxing and being educated at the same time. St Luke’s Hospice is an incredible organisation, with volunteers who do the most courageous and selfless things to help out in practical ways or raise funds. I love being around my friend who’d invited me – we go back many years – and I’m starting to get to know her friends, all very interesting women. Today I met someone I hadn’t met before, and it was one of those occasions where, a few minutes into our conversation, we’d made a strong connection. I look forward to exploring that friendship, as we have so much in common. Women need to support each other. It’s very important.

Listening to Dawn Garisch was very special to me; after the event, I sought her out and thanked her for her intervention in my life 6 years ago. I’m becoming increasingly aware that good energy finds its way back into our lives, either through the same people who brought it initially, or through new people who come into our lives. Today, I felt the wonderful energy of so many people I interacted with.

But there was one kind of energy I experienced today that reminded me that there’ll always be people who miss the plot and who are so constricted by the fetters of institutionalized religion, that they fail to accept anything in a form other than the neatly-wrapped package to which they’re accustomed. Somewhere in her presentation, Dr Garisch had alluded to the Theory of Evolution, and in the Q&A session, some simpleton got up and challenged her about her “belief” in the theory, going on a rant about being a born-again Christian. She kept asking questions, seemingly trying to catch the speaker out, or trap her into confessing that she didn’t believe in God. Said born-again didn’t understand that Q&A time was for everyone, and not just her, to have an opportunity to ask questions. She polluted the room with her toxic smugness and effectively silenced everyone else, ruining what had been a nurturing atmosphere, filled with mutual respect and appreciation of the work being done by St Luke’s Hospice and doctors like Dawn Garisch.
I’m sure she didn’t buy any of Dawn’s books that were on sale.

And I’m equally sure that, as she drove home, she thanked God that she had worn that particular designer outfit, and also expressed her relief that she wasn’t as ignorant as some people.

And life goes on – and on and on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.