"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Wednesday 23 March 2016

Beauty all around.

I'm so sleepy, but I've just had a shower and washed my hair, and I need to stay up for a whileto let my hair dry, before I can go to bed. Why didn't I do this earlier? Good question. 

I won't write a long post - I just wanted to acknowledge how blessed I've been feeling, recently. 

I am lucky enough to have bought a decent (by my standards) car, about seven weeks ago, after just more than two years without a car. It was the longestime in my adult life without a car, and it happened astage of my life when having a car should've been a given. Buthings didn'work outhat way. I made a decision noto rush into anything, and I methodically worked towards what I now have. When I realised I'd need a car soon (next blessing = new job), I turned to my Facebook network and asked if anyone could help me find what I wanted, within my modest budget. On 12 February, with the help of my network of experts in various fields, I drove my car home, grinning like a Cheshire cat. I am grateful to be driving myself and my family around again, to have my independence, and to be able to spontaneously decide to go wherever I like. I've even managed to go to two evening events with friends I hadn't hung out with in ages! So, yes, I'm feeling unbelievably good about being mobile again. 

Everything is relative, I always say. You have to have been without a car, and endured the inconvenience of public transport in this city, to truly appreciate one when you geit.

My second big blessing so far, this year (of course, in addition to having all my loved ones, and all of us being in good health), was changing my job. I will always be passionate about education, music and the empowerment of previously-disadvantaged people. In a way I would never have thought possible, my new job embraces all three. I am where I wanto be. I can make a difference, and I can grow as an individual. I learn so many things every single day, and I am unutterably grateful for this opportunity. The facthathe project I'm coordinating is a big band is almost unbelievable. My friends remind me thathis is what I've been saying all my life, that I want my full-time job to use all my skills and experience, and to be linked to music in some way. And here I am, at age 54 - exactly there.  My gratitude knows no bounds.

With all of this wonderful energy comes a heightened awareness of nature in all its fullness. I looked out of my window this morning, and this was what greeted me: the moon playing hide and seek witthe clouds, before disappearing behind a mountain. 





Later on, I was driving in Rondebosch, when I saw this spectacular vista (below) of sky and mountain, so I pulled off and took a few pics.  

     
Can you understand why I'm so moved by everything? Such beauty just floors me. I wanto cancel every mundane task that awaits me at home, and stare in awe athe grandeur of nature. 

Lastly, I'm blessed to have really good people in my life, people who have stood by me and encouraged me to keep going, especially in those moments where I wondered what life was all about, and whether I actually made a difference or not.  Many people assisted me materially, especially when I was unemployed, a few years ago. Others assisted me by sharing their skills and resources with me. Others popped in with groceries or a cooked meal, when things were really tough. Some friends took me out, bought me books, put me in touch with others in their networks, and some just kept calling or sending me texts to say they were thinking of me, and sending me love. I have a list of "angels in my life", and I add to this list everytime a new person is good to me. 

And what's the greatest lesson of all? When YOU can be the friend helping someone else in need, then YOU should be doing justhat. 

T

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.