"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Friday 9 September 2016

Mind Powering

Written on Wed 07 Sept 2016

So here I am, finally with a free evening, wanting to blog, a hundred topics on my mind, and I have no idea what to write.

Ok, here’s one. I’ve gone back to doing Mind Power. I’ve written about this before. I did the course in 2003, and have gone on and off the programme (on my own) over the years. I remember when I did the course, I thought I’d stay on the exercises forever. But of course life happens and one gets busy, and one loses focus. I also remember the facilitator, Robin Banks, telling us to do the exercises as part of our daily routines, and not only in times of need.

He knew what he was talking about. Maybe, had I listened, I would’ve been further along my journey.

The irony of my on-off relationship with Mind Power is that I really like doing the exercises, and I ALWAYS get results. Sometimes the goals you work towards in your exercises are realised only after months, even years, but sometimes it’s a really short turnover time, like days.
So what are the exercises I do? My daily routine consists of four exercises, each lasting five minutes:
1.       Contemplating one of the six Mind Power rules (You can Google them)
2.       Affirmation (a short statement clearly articulating your specific goal as though you’ve already achieved it)
3.       Acknowledging past successes (sets up an energy vibration of success in you)
4.       ‘A creating period’, where you visualise (picture) and ‘seed’ (feel the emotions of) your goal; it’s like running a movie in your head, like you’re experiencing the goal having been achieved.
The crazy and wonderful thing about the last exercise is that, by the time you actually achieve your goal, it feels familiar, because you’ve already gone through the achievement in your mind so many times.  

Here are some of the principles on which Mind Power is based, that impress me:
-          Your brain can’t tell the difference between something real and something imagined
-          The more frequently you think about something, especially with emotion/passion, the more likely you are to attract it into your life
-          At any moment of any day, your mind is full of thoughts – you can choose to leave them all scattered, or you can choose to focus  them in such a way that your life gains impetus and direction
-          You can consciously choose to get rid of negative thoughts and replace them with positive thoughts
-          You can insert any thought into your mind, at any time, in any place 

I knew, from the time that I sat through the free introductory lecture, that this was something that I would love, and I did. I still do. In my family, we even use ‘mind power’ as a verb, as in “I’m going to mind power our new car.” And, by the way, that’s what I did. I achieved my cool car and my cool job through Mind Power. It’s all about energy vibrations, and focusing your thoughts in such a way that you affect the vibrations, and strongly tilt the likelihood of something happening. This is how I’d explain it: you basically focus your thoughts so strongly, that a whole lot of other elements come together and somehow work together towards achieving your goal.

As a writer, I also like the freedom to make up my own affirmations (positive statement of your goal as though it’s already been achieved). Here’s one of mine: “I vibrate with an energy that is empowered, empowering and that attracts success. “   

One of the things I really love doing is singing my affirmations. That makes the five minutes go really fast, and I get to try variations on a melody, while repeating the affirmation.

Recently, I rediscovered how cool it is to get all my exercises done while driving – it passes the time, and it’s really fun. So that’s what I’ve been doing. A whole new take on surviving traffic jams (which I sit in on a daily basis). Many people enjoy doing Mind Power while exercising – it’s a natural high.
So, on Day Four of my current Mind Power programme, I am seriously ‘mind powering’ a goal that will radically alter my life. I feel that, this time, not only will I stick to the programme, but I will achieve my goal. Of that I have absolutely no doubt.

On 1 May 2015, I set myself a 100-day challenge to dance, to start regaining my fitness, and to feel   better about myself and about life. 16 months later, I’m still dancing. Still loving it!

In 2003, I wrote a quirky song, called Mind Power. Here’s the first verse:

Mind Power in the shower
Mind Power when I blow-dry my hair
It doesn’t take an hour
Mind Power means you live like you care
Mind Power
Always start my day with
Mind Power
Just can’t stay away from
Mind Power
It’s under my skin………

So, as you can see, Mind Power is something I highly recommend. Basically, you can do it anywhere; you’re thinking thoughts anyway, so you might as well focus them on one of your goals. Try it. Only 20 minutes a day, and you can split the exercises up throughout your day. Whenever you have five minutes of free time, do one of them. See how your life changes after thirty days. I recommend the book, “Mind Power into the Twenty-First Century” (John Kehoe) and also recommend that you attend the next free introductory lecture in your city. Then do the course. You won’t regret it. Also, Google Robin Banks, the Mind Power man. He’s a phenomenal example of what he teaches.

I may not be materially successful right now, but a lot of who I have become, over the last 13 years, is as a result of Mind Power. I’m talking about acquiring and shedding attitudes and habits, as well as operating my thought life in a certain way. It has given me greater clarity and much better boundaries.


What can I say? It works for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.