"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Sunday 5 December 2021

So much has changed / Written 05 Nov '21 / Lockdown Day 589

I’m always surprised when I see how long ago I last posted a blog, because I think about blogging all the time. I journal every single day, but it’s different from blogging. A lot more personal.

Wow – SO much has changed since I last wrote!

I left my job at the end of August, taking a voluntary severance package, without lining up a new job. At the time, I’d taken on some part-time online marking, which was a first for me. It proved to be a very interesting and enlightening experience. I was lucky enough to be kept busy with marking right until this week. I am grateful for the income. 

Looking at today’s date, I can’t believe it’s already been two full months that I’ve been at home.

The entire experience has been completely different to any other time of my life. Firstly, Old Trudy would never have left a job without having secured another. Had she done so, Old Trudy would have been super stressed, accepting the first offer that came her way, out of fear of not getting any others.

As it turns out, I am New Trudy, who does life differently. It was less of a plan than an evolution. Everything in my life up to now has moulded me and brought me to where I am, today. It sounds so obvious, but it’s extremely profound. In my case, it comes with an immense sense of acceptance of who I am, and peace – so much more peace than I thought possible, given the adversity I’ve dealt with, right up to this year.

Anyway… back to the job front. After extensive chats with someone I knew and trusted, I was offered an opportunity to co-write a funding proposal. Phase 1 was accepted, so I am currently engaged in research – also a new area for me, but absolutely fascinating. Beyond the research process, there might be another role for me. Time will tell.

So this is the New Trudy. Having turned 60 two months ago, I can’t help thinking about what it means to the world out there. To me, it’s an exciting and wonderful time of my life. Firstly, within the context of the Covid-19 pandemic, I am grateful to be alive, but even more so to be in good health, both physically and mentally. Having a mom afflicted with Alzheimer’s, I appreciate every day of my life that I wake up with all my mental faculties intact. Or, as my mother would say, having all your “varkies” (piglets). šŸ˜Š

In terms of job prospects, I feel I have so much to offer and that the right situation for me will turn up. Old Trudy would have focussed on what she lacked, or the negatives about being 60.

I’ve managed to keep up my fitness regimen, and have recently started making healthier food choices, with a view to losing weight. I set a weekly goal to do three workouts and sometimes other arrangements get in the way, which frustrates me. Later today I’ll do a one-hour fitness class, which will bring my weekly total to three. On Sunday, I’m doing my first ever Sleekgeek event, a 5km walk. I can’t wait. It will be about 100 people, walking as part of a health and fitness movement, right next to the sea! I’m so excited! I joined this group in late 2017, I think, and have never been to any of their events. I’ve put the word out in our fitness group, so others in our group are also walking on Sunday.

I would love to build up my running, to do a 5km run sometime. I was hoping I could achieve it by the end of this year, but I think the end of January might be more realistic. There are 9 and 12 week programmes I’ve seen, which allegedly get you “from couch to 5km”. I’ll see. There are some things for which I set deadlines and others that I allow to flow more organically. I love the unhurriedness of most things in my life, now.

On the music front, I was delighted to have been offered a duo gig at a hotel. It’s in two weeks’ time, and I’ve been practising. This will be my first live gig since March 2020, before lockdown. It’s in a beautiful venue, overlooking the sea, and I’ll be playing with one of my favourite musicians, Rudy Burns. I cannot wait!!!   

                                  7 Nov 2021 -  Sleekgeek 5km walk - Sea Point Promenade


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.