"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Sunday 23 July 2023

One missing piece

The past week was really good! It's important for me to acknowledge that and stop myself from thinking that, if my life isn't going at 100% capacity, it sucks. It doesn't, actually. I have many things for which to be thankful, and even happy. There's a quotation that comes to mind, which makes me smile and fills me with hope: "And the moon said to me - my darling daughter, you do not have to be whole in order to shine." (Nichole McElhaney)

 If I were to draw a pie chart of my life, right now, and colour in all the slices that were fine, I'd see just one blank slice - finances. (I need to get paid my outstanding salary from my previous job [ongoing labour dispute] and find a new job.) It just happens to be a part of life that affects practically every other part. I have, however, put effort into fighting the depression I felt myself slipping into. To forge ahead with all the other areas of my life, while feeling immense frustration, sadness and even anger about one area, required me to resort to compartmentalisation, which I have had to do, at various stages of my adult life. 

This week, I achieved consistency in a few routines related to self-care. I'm a great planner, and a good starter, but I often run out of steam. This past week, I hit my Monday-to-Friday morning routines 100%: morning meditation, a dance workout, a shower, Breakfast Club, and breakfast. At night, after my shower, I journalled, did Mind Power, and, just before falling asleep, a sleep-time meditation. 

For me, the consistency of even one routine - the simple act of dancing daily (for only 30 - 40 minutes) - made a huge difference. Life reminded me that daily exercise has a positive effect on everything I do. I stretch at the start and end of the workout, using exercises I learnt when I trained with Fitness Granted, with the owner, Grant Cyster, as our trainer. I fully intend to go back to him when I can afford it again. I used to love the one-hour full-body workouts we'd do, which also included running and boxing. Most of the time, we trained outdoors, which was absolutely wonderful. When I'd lie on my yoga mat and do my exercises while looking at the sky, nothing seemed impossible.   

I've realised that I'm more likely to succeed at my goals when I cluster them in a sequence that has a good flow. This past week's mornings flowed beautifully, and I look forward to repeating that in the coming week.  

So what's Breakfast Club? It's a free, daily Zoom check-in with like-minded people, which is part of my son's business called Flourish Anyway. We share our goals for the week/day and update each other on our progress, as well as challenges. We share ideas and tips for goal achievement, and receive guidance from Nick. It's open to the public, and lasts about 20 - 30 minutes. Not everyone attends every day (it's a Monday-to-Friday thing), but I found it so helpful, and I learnt so much, that I pitched up every day.  

Here are some of the things I learnt last week:

1. For me to have a productive day, I need to plan in detail the night before. (Familiar lesson: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.)

2. Time blocking works. It helps me stay focussed and limit distractions. For example, I set a timer for an hour, in which time I'll focus on one goal, AND... not go onto social media!

3. Awareness of dopamine levels, how they peak and dip throughout the day, and the importance of scheduling activities with that in mind. 

4. I have a tendency to plan too many tasks for one day, and need to pace myself more realistically.   

And then, after my fairly successful five days, I sang at a memorial event for anti-apartheid activist, Blanche La Guma, on Saturday. It was at the District Six Homecoming Centre. I accompanied the communal singing of two protest songs, and sang one of my own songs: In the Shade of Table Mountain. I felt privileged to be part of the gathering, where tribute was paid to a remarkable woman. Trumpeter Darren English played two pieces, as well. It was an absolute treat to hear him, after so many years.  

And today I pitched up for Wolf Pack. So - it's been a good week for showing up and being held accountable. So many other details I haven't written about, but this post was more about sharing my new routines and how I've actually managed to stick to them. 

And now, I will plan my new week in broad strokes, plan tomorrow with time blocking, then journal, meditate, and slip into a much-welcomed deep and satisfying sleep.

In so many ways, I am  extremely fortunate.

I believe I will find a job soon - a job I enjoy, which allows me to help others, which affords me a learning and growing experience, and pays me a sustainable salary. Yes - I believe that's possible. Let's see what the new week holds. 

Oh, and I've finally joined Instagram! (@guitartrudy)  

      Inside the incredible District Six Homecoming Centre, before it filled up, on Saturday. (22/07/23) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.