"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Wednesday 3 February 2010

Planning for 6 March, my next original concert


Stats update (like anyone cares!): Blog views, 390. Facebook friends, 124.

Today, everything about me that can, is smiling; today I had my guitar lesson! When I started working at Eurocentres Cape Town (English School), I couldn't wait to walk the two blocks to Jazz Workshop (Music School), to get back to guitar lessons. That was in January 2008. From January to July that year, I had one teacher, but because his busy schedule meant I kept skipping lessons and having to make them up some other time, I asked if I could change teachers, which was when I was assigned to Wayne Bosch. That was in August 2008, and I've learnt so much from him since then.

The theory we've covered has opened my eyes to so much, a lot of it related to composing. In the latter half of last year, when I played him my first instrumental composition, called "Candlelight", he set me a challenge, to take the tune further by adding another section using a particular theoretical concept (changing keys, following certain criteria). I did, and it worked out well. I'm hoping to be able to play it well enough to perform at my next concert of originals, on Saturday 6 March, once again at Baran's.

I really like Wayne - and I can't say it enough - because he's ALL music. He takes what he does very seriously, and he expects the same from his students. After we'd worked together in lessons for a few months, during which we'd done quite a bit of work on my original songs, I was approached by music entrepreneur, Cliff Wallis, to do a set at his "Jazz at the Nassau" concert in Feb 2009. When Cliff okayed my doing originals, I immediately asked Wayne to be in the trio (Shaun Johannes was the bassist), because it meant we'd have an opportunity to perform what we'd been working on.

Five months later, we landed the Food Lover's Market (Restaurant and Sushi Bar) gig, in Claremont, and this is our 8th consecutive month there. There've been weeks when he wasn't available, and on those occasions I've worked with different guitarists: Alvin Dyers, John Russell, Keith Tabisher and Rudy Burns. It's been quite a journey for me, because gigging every single Saturday at the same spot for 7 months afforded me so many learning and growth opportunities. I've become "gig-fit". I've also learnt to work with a new musician without a rehearsal, and that's a big step for me. I don't mind so much with covers, but when it's a whole concert of originals, I prefer a run-through beforehand.

I've been trying to set up a concert to raise funds for Haiti, but as people at the venue of my choice take their time to respond, time is moving on, and I now have to focus on the planning of my next concert at Baran's (6 March). The Haiti fundraiser will have to be after that. That, as well as other charities, will need our help for a long time to come.

The backing band for the 6th of March concert will be WAYNE BOSCH (guitar), CHARLES LEZAR (double bass) and FRANK PACO (drums and percussion). I'll do many of the songs I did in my December concert, but I've also unearthed some others to add to the programme. Also hoping to do at least one brand new one.

All of that happens in just over 4 weeks' time. There's a whole lot to do, and I need to get started.

Most importantly, I need to learn from the previous one:
1. Delegate, delegate, delegate.
2. Work once again with musicians I have a good feeling about; good people, as well as good musicians.
3. Trust my instincts - I usually know what I'm talking about, but sometimes I make the mistake of deferring to others who come across as more knowledgeable.... something I occasionally regret.
4. Pre-sell the tickets.
5. Take the ordered tickets to the people - when some people say they'll collect them on the night, they just don't pitch, and it throws your budget out completely.
6. Accept offers of help!
7. Don't confuse business with anything other than business. It makes no sense to pay the band and others, and then to earn a negative amount for myself.

There are lots of other lessons I learnt, some of too personal a nature for me to divulge in this blog, and the challenge is for me to improve on the last one, in every possible way. Hoping to have it recorded again - Andre Manuel (Dala Flat Music) did a great job the last time. Have booked the same photographer, Lavonne Bosman (www.lavonne.co.za), because she's just a born genius.

And so it starts, again. If you missed the last one, try not to miss this one. Tickets will be on sale as soon as possible, at R60 each. The show will start at 7pm and include two sets of my original music, with a delicious meal served in the break. The meal (R50 main course or R30 mezze) is paid for separately, on the night. The event should be over by 9:30/10pm.

This time, I'll take orders for the CD, and I'll commit to getting that aspect done as soon as possible. Still looking for funding. Need to do some research and see what exactly it will cost. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.