"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Sunday 20 February 2011

The truth about dhanya

It took me a long time to realise the truth about dhanya. I thought that if you planted it, you could cut some leaves whenever the plant grew and it would continue growing. I imagined a permanence that never was there, except in my imagination. I'd wanted it to be permanent, mine, standing openly and proudly in my garden, proof of my ability to nurture and sustain. What I never saw was obvious to everyone but me - dhanya doesn't work like that. It grows, it thrives, it becomes fragrant and beautiful and it reaches a point where that's all it's ever going to be - and you have to enjoy it right then. If you imagine it's going to be as beautiful, as fragrant, as filled with potential in a week's time, you're wrong. You will have missed the moment, because you didn't really see dhanya as it was, as it had always ever said it was. After it reaches its time for picking, if you don't pick it, it shrivels up and dies a little every day, until there's no trace of your ever having had a dhanya plant.

I can't blame the dhanya for how I feel now - it never lied to me. It was what it was, mine for a while, to enjoy, to appreciate. But it never intended to stay. 'Cos dhanya is just that way. It's genetically programmed for just that life cycle.

And now that I know the truth abut dhanya, I suppose I should go to the nursery and buy another tray of plants, and get it right this time. I'm not so sure I'm ready for that whole process again, though. So, until I am, I'll get my dhanya in small quantities, as I need it. Too much of an investment for such a small return.

And life goes on....

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.