"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Tuesday 25 August 2015

Finding balance

I’ve been thinking about compiling a list for my kids, as a sort of legacy, of pieces of advice, bits of wisdom I’ve arrived at over the years. I want to give it more thought, before committing the words to paper. Quite an interesting exercise, I’m finding. 

One of the main messages I want to pass on to them is that life can sometimes be demanding and stressful, even veering towards chaos. Often, no matter organized you may be, this is what you find yourself in the midst of, mainly because you don’t live in isolation – you share your space with people who may be very different to you. You need to have a coping strategy, a space you can go to, whether physical or psychological, where you can restore your balance. 

I operate with common sense, so I don’t believe that balance can be found only in overseas holidays or retreats into expensive game reserves. If you’re lucky enough to be able to afford that kind of lifestyle, good for you. For most people, however, it’s more likely that your peaceful place or space will be in or around your home, or somewhere in your city, at least. 

For many people, the thing that restores balance is not so much a place as an activity. For me, music has long been my haven, my refuge, whether it be playing it, listening to recordings or watching it being performed live. 

Right now, I’m staying up way too late, because I’m watching a DVD I‘ve wanted to buy for years: Jamie Cullum Live at Blenheim Palace. 

So, in the midst of all the chaos that somehow seems to keep seeking me out, I have my constant source of peace – music. I could write volumes about how music has helped me keep a sense of perspective.

I’ll write some more at another time. If I don’t go’n sleep now, I’ll be wiped out in the morning. I get up at 05:30, these days, and leave by 07:00. I need to shower now, then read a few pages of a book, before losing myself in dreamland.


And life goes on. 

                         A recent sunset - August 2015 - view from my kitchen window. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.