"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Wednesday 16 May 2018

Moving at work


I started my current job in March 2016, and for one and a half years, was based in town. Things changed, and I was moved to our office in Claremont, which was half of the distance to town, resulting in a huge saving on fuel.

 When I returned to work after the December break, I was informed that I was heading back to town. and on 16 January this year, I went back to working at the original office. I loved it, I liked the spot I was given, I revelled in the natural light, the space around me, and the spectacular views from our 10th floor open plan office. I realised when I got back there, just how distracted I’d been in the previous office, with everyone sitting relatively close. No privacy whatsoever. Everyone heard everyone’s phone calls. It takes some getting used to.

But, with the only constant in life being change, tomorrow I move again – this time, it’s the same floor, in the same building, just on the other side.  

Now, for some people, a move is no big deal, but for sensitive people, everything affects one – particularly the number and proximity of people in a shared space.  Hectic! What can I do? In our country, with such high unemployment stats, I’m lucky to be employed, and I’m even luckier that it’s in a good company, in the one area of the corporate world where I don’t feel like a misfit – philanthropy. 

So I’ll have to get used to being surrounded by many more people, in a much tighter space, with limited natural light and a view of a wall and other desks, as opposed to the harbour. 

I’ve found that the way I handle change has a lot to do with how involved I was in the decision-making process. Changes that I have to make that are decided for me are much harder to adapt to than changes I decide on for/by myself.  

Whichever way you look at it, every day brings a new set of possibilities.    

                         This is the view I say goodbye to, tomorrow. Isn't it spectacular?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.