"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Tuesday 1 January 2019

My festive season break

From 1983 till early 2016, I worked as a teacher, except for two periods of about 2 years, when I did other things. For 19 of those years, I taught in the government education sector (primary school, high school and college) and enjoyed the quarterly breaks, as well as what was then a 5-to-6-week holiday over Dec-Jan. Wonderfully restorative, and something I took for granted. 

Since March 2016, I've been working in the corporate sector.  I get about 20 days of annual leave, which I spread throughout the year, saving a cluster for the December break. With the public holidays and weekends, I end up getting an uninterrupted break of about two weeks. During the year, I love taking my annual leave in half days, especially around gigs or other events, which makes me feel like I've had more than  20 days. 

I'm a list-maker; before I go into anything, I have to make a list. My list for this holiday has 19 items on it. I've done 6 so far. :-) But they were six significant ones, the biggest being ''Concert with Wayne".  Yeah!!! Our 5th one since he moved to Pretoria in early 2013. 

I live a short drive from the nearest beach - about 10 - 15 mins - and I always plan to go to the beach, during my holiday. But there are two things I REALLY HATE, and avoid whenever possible: traffic jams, and crowded places. Today is New Year's Day, one of the big beach days in Cape Town. So is tomorrow. So my plan is to do other things (from the list) for these two days, and then attempt a beach visit on the 3rd. Wish me luck!

My mom's with me this week, and her daily rhythms are completely different to ours, so there's always the unknown factor in terms of her being awake or even being interested in going anywhere. You have to take it one day at a time, that's all.  

What I love most about holidays is the change of pace: the absence of meetings and deadlines, the luxury of waking up without an alarm, and most of all, not having to sit in a soul-numbing traffic jam twice a day. Do you know that when Cape Town's traffic is crazy (because of weather or accidents), it can take me 90 minutes to do a 22km trip?! On a day like that, that means 3 hours in traffic on one day! I dream of living closer to work, but rentals are ridiculous, so I'll stay where I am. I live on a hill, in a cul de sac, and it's actually a very peaceful spot. I've been here almost 22 years. I will have to move one day, though. 

And our December holidays fall in our summer season, so it's glorious weather, loads of wonderful, mood-enhancing sunshine, laundry gets dry quickly, thanks to  the ever-present south-easterly wind, and there's just this lifetime of happy associations of summer and holiday, of sunshine and leisure time. 

I love writing, but during the working year, I'm constantly frustrated at how little time I have left to do the things that bring me joy - every day seems filled to the brim with responsibility. One of the reasons I stay up so late is that I want to do so much in the evenings, but I generally can't achieve them and get to bed before midnight. That's something I'm going to change, this year.

My word for 2019 is ''rhythm'', and that includes things like getting enough sleep, and managing my time better, so that I don't automatically feel out of balance once the working year starts. 

This year, I want to look after and love myself in the same way I do the people in my close circle. I think that's important. I'm putting Trudy back on my agenda. I have some serious intentions for this year, and I'm readier than I've ever been. No more second-guessing myself. 

As Rafiki says, in The Lion King: "'It is time!"'

                               After my Sabria's gig, on 15 Dec 2018. Photo by Summer

3 comments:

  1. my name is Promise dickson Finch am from Texas USA. I want to share a testimony of how Dr. OLU herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr. OLU. herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than two weeks of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have weak erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed. You can contact him via (drolusolutionhome@gmail.com) You can contact him today and get your problem solved.Call +2348140654426 .." or you can also contact him through his what-app +238140654426

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day !!
    We are Christian Organization formed to help people in need of help,such as
    financial assistance, Do you need a loan to pay your bills? Do you need
    Personal Business Car or Student loans? Need a loan for various other
    purposes? If yes contact us today.
    Please these is for serious minded and God fearing People.
    Email: (jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com)
    Text or call: +1-586-331-5557.
    Address is 68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks Flames Season 2 Series Review

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to place a comment here.