"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Tuesday 14 June 2022

Doing what I love, and loving what I do

My third post for the year! At this rate, I'm likely to upload six blog posts for 2022! It's ridiculous, because - as I keep saying - I think about blogging all the time! I should just schedule a weekly blogging slot in my diary - that way I'll blog on a regular basis.

It's just after 7pm on a Monday night, and it's raining, as it has been all day long. Yes, it's winter. After my weekend filled with music, I gave myself a PJ Day. I worked on my remote jobs in the lounge, all day, warmly and happily dressed in my pyjamas. Fortunately, I had no Zoom meetings scheduled, nor did anyone want to video chat on WhatsApp. This was exactly what I needed. 

So, about my weekend. On Saturday, I spent most of the day rehearsing with guitarist Keith Tabisher, for a gig we did yesterday, as well as for our concert in two weeks' time. Yes, that's new - I'm putting on a concert with Keith, my daughter, Summer Dawn, and another talented young musician, Clayton Seas. 

Ok, first let me tell you about yesterday's gig, then I'll tell you about our concert coming up later this month!! Yesterday, we played at a 90th birthday party, where a beloved father and grandfather was celebrated by his family and friends. It was a warm and wonderful gathering in every way. We played only covers, including a few special songs that the gentleman loved. On Saturday, I learnt May The Good Lord Bless and Keep You, by Jim Reeves, which rounded off one of the speeches. Keith and I loved every moment of the gig, and thoroughly enjoyed playing for people who appreciated our music. It was truly satisfying. 

Ok - I'M PUTTING ON A CONCERT, AFTER 3 AND A HALF YEARS!!! YAY!!!  

On Saturday, 25 June, after three and a half years, I am putting on a concert. This time, we're performing inside another beautiful old stone church, St Saviour's, in Claremont, Cape Town. I cannot wait!! In our line-up of four, we have two seasoned and two emerging artists. Our programme will showcase each of us in different ways: Keith, Summer and I are doing original work, and Clayton will be playing covers, paying tribute to some of his favourite artists. Keith, a brilliant guitarist, has a body of awesome original work that he seldom performs - a real treat for our audience. Summer's been writing exciting new songs which I know she's eager to perform. I'll be drawing from my older material, and I am super chuffed to be giving two recently-written songs their first public audience. It's been a while. 

The past two and a half years have been difficult for live musicians, and I've been aching to perform in a concert setting, to sing my own compositions in a beautiful space, conducive to my kind of music. This concert feels like a brand new beginning, and we're all very excited. Of course, it's winter in South Africa, the season when Cape Town gets most of its rain, so we're being quite courageous! There are so many ways to look at this. All I know is that I didn't want to keep putting off my concert plans, after such a long break. (E-mail guitartrudy@gmail.com, to book tickets. The concert starts at 15h00.) 

Oh, and I'm no longer doing the restaurant gig I had. It didn't feel right for me anymore, so I decided to leave. I enjoyed singing and playing my guitar there, I met really interesting people, and I'll always be grateful to the owner for the opportunity. I did a total of ten gigs there, and it was a cool experience. I won't say that I'll never sing in a restaurant setting again, but I want to consciously focus on performing to captive, listening audiences - people who've come there specifically to listen. 

And life goes on. 

My part-time teaching job came to an end, last week. That was also a huge opportunity that just fell into my lap, as a result of someone recommending me and the decision maker remembering me from when I taught there ten years ago. My students have just written their three English exams, and I'm holding thumbs that they all pass. They became really special to me, in the four and a half months I was with them. Wow, was it only that long? I was reminded how much I loved teaching English, but I was also very clear that I particularly loved the part-time aspect of it. I don't want to do the same thing five days a week. This is a new phase of my life, where I'm living my restlessness, unapologetically. I love variety. I love the possibilities I was told were ridiculous, before.      

And life goes on. 

It's ten months since I left my permanent job, and my life is shifting - steadily and wonderfully - in the direction I'd planned. My aim, at this stage, is to do what I love, love what I do, and earn money doing it. At age 60, I actually don't feel like labouring at anything. I'm consciously making choices that resonate with my essential self, and it feels fucking amazing! I honestly want to live my life with joy and  to say a big, unequivocal NO! to anything and anyone that blocks my naturally harmonious energy.   

I recently started a new income-generating activity: proofreading. I've done only one document/job, so far, but have discovered that it's something I'd really like to do on an ongoing basis. I have a lot to learn, but when it comes to correcting English language errors, that's the easy part. Wherever I've worked, colleagues have brought documents to me, to proofread. In fact, it's a dream job for a Virgoan, English Honours word nerd! :-)       

My daughter's been really sick, this past week, with a chest infection. It's meant she's had to forego her job that she loves so much, and also that she couldn't perform with me at yesterday's gig, as planned. Anyway, she's responding well to the meds, and the cough is finally sounding a lot less alarming.  I think she's also bored, as she hasn't been able to hang out with her two best friends. 

And, lastly, I'm 125cm into my latest blanket - the first one I've crocheted this year. I was planning to use up yarn that I had, and to make an anything-goes blanket, but my need for symmetry won the day, and I headed for my nearest wool shop, to buy a few more balls. This blanket is my contribution to this year's "67 Blankets for Mandela" drive, which happens around the late Nelson Mandela's birthday, on 18 July. Last year was the first year I submitted one, although I had attempted one a few years ago - I crocheted a huge granny square, and it came out skew, so I didn't donate it. Now, I just crochet rows, in bands of different colours. This blanket looks so cool - the most colourful one I've made yet! I now know how happy it makes me to work with so many colours. I can't wait to finish it and hand it in. I have my next crocheting project lined up already, but that will be a secret for now.  


Take care, wherever in the world you are. I'm determined to live my life as peacefully as I can, filling it with people and experiences that make my soul sing. It's been quite a journey, but I have more clarity than ever before about what I do and don't want in my life. And I'm finally courageous enough to say it without feeling I need to justify myself. What about you? I hope you are able to make choices that give you the quality of life you yearn for. Even if it takes years - it's worth it to keep striving for a life that you're excited to live. 

Peace    

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.