"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Friday 2 April 2010

E-mail re: HAITI FUNDRAISING CONCERT, 16 APRIL 2010


Hi

Like so many other people, when the news of the earthquake reverberated around the world on 12 January, I felt a strong need to DO something to help. I thought that St George's Cathedral would be the perfect venue for Capetonians to come together, to show support for people suffering on the other side of the world. I applied for the use of the Cathedral in January, but was only able to secure a date much later.

We all know that, even though Haiti is not in every news bulletin and on the front page of every newspaper, its people are experiencing immense hardship to this day, trying to recover from the devastation caused by the earthquake and subsequent aftershocks. Families are dealing with the loss of multiple members, children have been orphaned, entire neighbourhoods ruined. People lost their livelihoods and are dealing with trauma related to loss of limbs and many other physical difficulties. The effects of this earthquake were much more devastating because of the impoverished living conditions and inferior infrastructure in the affected areas.

I've rallied a group of musicians and poets, all eager to contribute their talents towards this worthy cause, and we'll be doing a concert at the Cathedral, in Wale Street , in the city centre of Cape Town , on Fri. 16 April, at 8pm.

I have secured, as the guest speaker for the night, Anglican Archbishop THABO MAKGOBA, who will update us on the situation in Haiti . He recently visited the affected areas and has been involved in aid efforts through the Anglican Church. They have an existing fund for Haiti , and it is through this channel that the funds raised on the night will be sent.

THE LINE-UP:
POETS: Diana Ferrus and Chris Ferndale, as well as three junior poets (TBA)

MUSICIANS: The Keith Tabisher Ensemble
Janice De Lilly (singer-guitarist)
Wilmie Monk (singer-songwriter, pianist)
Megan Francis (singer)
Bienvenue Mambote (singer-guitarist)
Martin and Jean (vocal-guitar pop duo)
and Wayne Bosch and I (vocal-guitar jazz duo, pictured)

Tickets cost R50, and are available from me. Please call 083 491 3048 or e-mail me at rushintrudy@yahoo.com. You may also contact me via Facebook, under "Trudy Rushin".

PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG YOUR NETWORKS! AND PLEASE SUPPORT THIS CAUSE!

Peace
Trudy

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.