"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Tuesday 20 July 2010

African Madonna


Every now and then, I take a walk down to one of my peaceful places, St George's Cathedral, in Wale Street, in the city centre of Cape Town. It takes me less than five minutes from work to get there, and I enjoy the walk through town, especially the little stalls in the side streets. I must admit, I usually go there when I need something, when I need to withdraw myself from the frenzy of everyday life and just sit quietly.... and think.... and be. I tend to gravitate towards it when I'm experiencing an extreme emotion of some kind, or when I need to sort my head out about something. I find myself there when I need to ask for something or when I need to give thanks for something.

I don't know what it is about the cathdral that I find so riveting, but one of the most amazing things in that building is a wooden statue called the African Madonna. It's carved out of a very dark wood, and was made, under commission, by an Englishman called Leon Underwood, in 1935. He was born in 1891. He alleges the shape of the original piece of wood suggested the shape of the end result. The plaque on the wall, next to the statue, says he carved the wood so that one half looked like the Virgin and the other the Madonna with child.

So, yes, I'm struck by the powerful message of this statue, but what adds that magical, other-worldly touch are the candles at its base. I go there, I stare at the statue and I light a candle, often not able to find the words to express what I'm there for. Silence is a form of communication filled with meaning.

The last time I went there, I sat in the main section of the church, closed my eyes and became still, shutting out everything, everyone, everywhere, and I opened my spirit to a new energy. I don't know how to explain this, but suddenly I started smiling and I just couldn't stop - from somewhere deep inside, I felt a wonderful, warm, reassuring glow, and a feeling of excitement about things to come, like I haven't had in years.

As long as I'm working in town, I should visit the African Madonna regularly. Strong symbolism.

And so I smile,....

1 comment:

  1. I was looking for information about the African Madonna when I came across your blog. I saw the Madonna recently when we attended our friend Noel Daniels' funeral at St George's.

    The Madonna has always held a special place in my heart. I went to St Martin's School in Rosettenville, Johannesburg in the late 70s/early 80s. At that time the Madonna was in the school chapel (the school was on the same premises as St Peter's Priory, the home of the Community of the Resurrection) so I saw it every school day for 5 years.

    I knew the Madonna was sent to St George's because Rowan Smith was our school chaplain and we kept in touch after we both left St Martin's and he came to Cape Town.

    When my gran died in 1998 I was working in Cape Town city centre. I couldn't go to her funeral in Scotland but on the day I went and lit a candle for her at St George's at the feet of the Madonna. It was very comforting.

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to place a comment here.