"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Tuesday 12 January 2016

Day One of the new school year

Today I went back to work after a glorious 4-week holiday, during which I had a real rest. Even though I put on my annual concert, sang at a wedding, and kept up my weekly restaurant performances, I was able to enjoy the complete change of pace that the holiday afforded me.

Going back today, I was reminded of all the things, big and small, that had irritated the hell out of me last year, and I made a mental note to, while being true to myself,  develop a thicker skin. Not always easy.   

Of course, getting up early felt so wrong, after all my late lie-ins, and taking the train, with all the other early risers, felt just as weird. Because the pupils hadn’t started school yet, the trains were unusually empty, and I even got a seat.

Sitting in a staff meeting and realizing the issues I’m going to have to deal with for another year – some completely unrelated to our core role as educators – made me wonder…..

A year ago, someone reminded me that I was lucky to have a job to return to, and I’ve not lost that perspective. I am lucky. I teach interesting young people, I teach a subject I love, and I teach just a few kilometres from where I live. My classroom is surrounded by grass, I can look outside and see trees and plants, things that fill me with peace.

On the other hand, I have to put up with a lot of secondary smoke, from students (young adults) and colleagues, who refuse to stick to the demarcated smoking areas – something that infuriates me, because it affects my chest, my sinuses, and my voice. I hate the smell, and I hate the fact that my health has to be compromised by the bad habits of others. I understand that smoking is an addiction, and I feel sad that it’s such a hard one to break. Most of the time, to be honest, I just feel pissed off that, because nobody wants to offend the smokers, the rest of us have to put up with it. It’s just one of the reasons I wish I worked in a more progressive, health-conscious environment, where people were more mindful of each other, more in touch with issues related to cancer  prevention, and basically just more law-abiding.   

Anyway, I think I’m also grumpy because I have to change my routine back to a more regimented one, when my free spirit wants to soar – for just a little longer.


Sandwiches made, clothes ironed, hair washed (to save time in the morning) – off to bed I go. New challenges tomorrow. I pray I’ll stay true to my many promises to myself. 

                                      Trees outside my classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.