"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Sunday 23 December 2018

Full Moon in Cancer, 2018


I know there’s a taboo about saying this kind of thing, but I’m going to say it anyway: right now, I’m SO happy, I could die.

Tonight, my teacher, mentor, duo music partner and dear friend, Wayne Bosch, came to the restaurant where I do a solo gig every Saturday night, and did the gig with me. I had last seen him the night of our last concert together, on the 28th of December, 2016.

He helped me set up my equipment, wouldn’t let me lift the speakers (even though I do it alone every week), we ordered supper for the break, and started playing. Just like that, and it was like we'd done our last gig the day before!

You know, there were a few reasons I hesitated to write all of this as a Facebook post (where I usually do my short-article raves); I’ll share two with you:

1.       People take offense when you say, ‘’I am so happy, I could die’’. They think you’re being morbid, or that you’re prophesying your own death. And then, if you were to die shortly thereafter, they’d all say, “You see! She knew she was going to die.’’ Naaah!! It’s just an expression to indicate an extreme!    
2.       Other guitarists I work with might feel bad about the reason I’m so happy I could die! It’s the most ridiculous reaction ever, because we all gig with various people, and we all have unique and beautiful experiences and relationships with our music partners. I rave about my guitar partners to each other, and the more open-spirited ones see the praise for what it is – it’s never meant as a comparison. On the contrary – I want people to know what a rich network of creative souls we are privileged to belong to.  I love hearing guitarists I work with tell me about other vocalists – it broadens my world, just hearing their names and a bit about their music and their voices.

So – tonight was spectacular! And I’d be failing myself wholly if I were to play this down, like I do so many of my emotions, because of people’s anticipated reactions. People either like me or they don’t. They have to make that choice based on who I really am, and not a diluted, sanitised version of me. 

Throughout our lives, we meet people - through our families, our schools, our jobs, our friends, our partners, and very often, through our interests. And you know how it goes – some people have very little impact on you. They’re in your life for a while, and then your reason for being together ceases to exist, and you make no effort to stay in touch.  Others, you like enough to want to see occasionally, and you go out of your way to stay connected, meeting for coffee, every now and then.

But there’s that third type of person – who creeps into your soul! You NEVER want to lose contact with that person, because they feel like they belong in your world – they get you, you feel inspired around them, being in their company lifts your spirits, and you just become a better you, as a result of them. Nuh? Well, that’s what Wayne means to me. He’s one of my favourite people in the world, and I was devastated when he relocated to Pretoria, in 2012. He’s such a natural teacher, and sharer of all that he knows, that even when he’s in casual conversation with you, he’s teaching you.

(I’ve written this on my blog before: when I heard that Wayne and his family were moving to Pretoria, we were gigging a lot, as a duo. I said I’d do whatever I could to continue performing with him, even if it was just once a year! We managed to do concerts in Dec 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016. Last year was the first year since he left that we didn’t perform together.)

Tonight, at the gig, he used a loop machine, and he kept telling me how much fun it was. Well, I could see how much fun he was having! I expressed some reservation/fear,  and said it would take me a long time to get the hang of it. By the end of the evening, he’d got me to not only play his electric guitar (Whaaaat?), but to record something on the loop machine with it! 

But I think the essential ingredient with all of these extra-special people in our lives is TRUST. Many of you who don’t know this friendship are thinking, ”Hmmmm…., I wonder if there’s more.“’ There’s no more. This is a magical angel who occupies a space in my heart. I trust him implicitly, and that’s not so common, these days. I’ve even said it myself: I have trust issues.

So – and my children understand this friendship best of all, because they’ve observed it for ten years – tonight, having that wonderful experience of making music with someone who’s so good at what he does, such a lovely person, and such a trusted, soul friend, made me so happy, I could die.
I waited two long years to see my friend and play live music with him, and what a satisfying reunion it was.

Maybe it was the full moon in Cancer?  Haha!

Wish I had a nice pic of us tonight, but I don't, so here's an oldie:
                            Wayne Bosch and I at our 2014 concert at the District Six museum. 
                                                           Photo: Gregory Franz

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.