"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Wednesday 22 July 2009

Saturday, 25/07/09: Next duo gig with Wayne


At my guitar lesson today (worked on "So What?" and walking bass line), Wayne told me that he had another gig for 1 August, which means THIS Saturday is very important, because it's my last definite gig with him at The Food Lover's Market, in Claremont. (Details in other posts on my blog.) The owner will give me more August info on Monday. I really want my friends to hear us, because it's such an exciting sound, and I can feel, with every performance, how we're growing.
I've always leaned towards being 'over-organised', (we Virgos don't believe there is such a thing!), and it's such a relief for me to work with a set list at every gig. It means there's more of a flow at gigs, and it also means a lot of thought goes into which song to play when in the programme, when to pick up or calm down the tempo of the evening, when to rest the voice and do an instrumental, and where to slot in the non-jazz items and the originals. I like the way we structure the evening, and I love the freedom I have to give my input as an equal, without being made to feel like my preferences are insignificant. Long story!

Last Saturday, my son, Nick, made two short video clips of us, doing "The Song Is You" and "Don't Know Why". Listening to it made me realise what an interesting time of my life this is, and I'm more eager than ever to record my debut album. I've had this dream burning inside of me for a long, long time. If all my plans work out, I'll be doing a 4-song mini-CD before the end of this year. If you have any ideas about good, affordable recording studios in Cape Town, please add a comment or e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.