"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Wednesday 29 July 2009

Wayne and I at Food Lover's Market, 8, 15, 22 and 29 August!!!



Last night I got confirmation that the duo gig at The Food Lover's Market (FLM) was ours for every Saturday night in August, and today I checked with Wayne re his availabilty. To my delight, he's happy to do the four nights: the 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th.

Interesting how some people perceive a regular gig: the restaurant owner expressed his concern that people would become bored with the same band. My response is that that takes a long time to happen, and definitely longer than 4 or 8 sessions. More than that, Wayne and I consciously vary our repertoire, so that we do a fresh performance every time, with only some favourites of ours cropping up more regularly. I like the way we respond to requests - when we have the song in our repertoire, we do it immediately; otherwise, we make sure we've learnt it by the next gig. The staff at FLM love our music, and they usually request songs they like.

Last Saturday, I stretched myself beyond my usual playing capacity, doing a guitar solo in one song and a walking bass line in another. The most important result of stepping out like that, was that I realised how much more focussed I need to be, as a guitarist. Somebody once said, "An essential ingredient of success, is failure". There's nothing like playing really badly in front of an audience to spur you on to work extra hard, so that you can redeem yourself the next time! Haha!

To recap: this coming Saturday, 1 August, it's me with John Russell, lovely guy, lovely guitarist; the next four Saturdays, I'll be working with Wayne Bosch again.

I'm excited about what September holds. I've gone back to the record label I started recording with in 2006, and have started negotiations to put closure on that project. I've also started exploring a whole new recording project..... Watch this space!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.