"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Monday 11 January 2010

Fifteen minutes

I have 15 minutes in which to be profound, funny, cryptic, ironic, or simply just to blog about whatever comes into my head.

Quick stats update: 350 profile views on my blog thus far. Yay!
And 100 facebook "friends". Diluted yay!

I started training for a half marathon on the 1st day of the year, after about a decade of unfitness (I suppose you could call me an unfit mother?). Have been doing running and walking, to a plan of run 8 mins, walk 2. Like the Trudy of many, many moons ago, I can feel myself getting excited (and fanatical) about running as a major part of my lifestyle. Got up this morning at dawn and was on the road at 5:10am. Loved the morning crispness, the sky's soft light, and the easy atmosphere between my trainer/partner/confidante and me. Reached my halfway goal, the joggers' drinking fountain on Ladies' Mile Rd, and started walking back, when I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my left Achilles tendon, and that was that. Couldn't run, could hardly walk, so we took a gentle stroll back. And now, with all this enthusiasm inside of me, I have to NOT run for a few days, and basically doctor myself. Been taking anti-inflammatories all day, and trying not to walk. That's like saying I was alone with my guitar, nothing to do, and I tried not to play! Man!!! One day, a student asked me, "Trudy, CAN you walk slowly?"

So much to say, as usual! Have started planning my next concert of original music ("restless" doesn't even BEGIN to describe how I feel), and am ECSTATIC to say I have the following people in my band: WAYNE BOSCH, CHARLES LEZAR and....... FRANK PACO!!!!Can you imagine how cool this concert's going to be?! I'm out of my skin with excitement!!!

DATE: Saturday 6 March
VENUE: Baran's Theatre Restuarant, Greenmarket Square
TIME: 7pm

Once again, lots to do, but this time I'm giving myself 8 weeks in which to put it all together, and there'll be some major improvements on the last one.

Met fascinating Frank Paco on Saturday for the first time, have started a collaboration exercise with him, but more about that when it's further down the line.

2010, I already love you!!!!!

(ok, that was 19 minutes!)

2 comments:

  1. oh my friend, i feel for you and your achilles heel... hope it heals soon and doesn't heel you! i'm afraid to admit that you've got me thinking about getting back to running, cos if i say it out loud, i'm going to have to do it!!! so i'm just whispering it for now.
    would love to know what you're not saying..... lots of love to you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could start a whole new blog about what I'm not saying. In fact, I've thought about doing exactly that. If you're referring to my collaboration with Frank, we've since written a song together, although I'm not 100% sure what my main role was. What an interesting process. I learnt a whole lot, especially about myself, but also about the processes I (unconsciously) go through when I write songs.

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to place a comment here.