"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Monday 11 January 2010

Like I could ever say it all in 15 minutes!




Picture: KEITH TABISHER and I, 2008, Mugg n Bean, The Paddocks, Milnerton
Other one: Me, 6 December 2009.


Ok, so I'm back.

On Saturday I was back at The Food Lover's Market, to do my 7-10pm gig, but this time Wayne couldn't make it, so I played with KEITH TABISHER, with whom I'd worked for six years in the duo, "Jazz, etc.". Keith and I know each other very well, as friends and as musicians, and there's something cosy about working in that format, like reverting to a childhood home or putting on a favourite pair of slippers. And I mean that in the nicest way! Haha! One of the nicest parts of the gig was that I played my guitar for most of the night, something I tend not to do when I work with Wayne. I've thought about that a lot, and I know all the reasons it happens. Don't forget that Wayne's also my guitar teacher, so there's that dynamic with us, as well.

JANICE DE LILLY, guitarist and vocalist, appeared again as our guest artist for the night, and WOW!...... she just keeps getting better and better! This young lady REALLY knows how to sing! She takes guitar lessons at Jazz Workshop, with James Kibby, and I can see her confidence growing, along with her repertoire and technique.

To my delight, another vocalist, MEGAN FRANCIS, turned up to have supper there, and she agreed to come up and sing two songs. Another really great singer with a bright future.

It turned out to be a very nice evening, with three tables of my friends pitching up and staying to enjoy the music. Thanks to Barbara and family, Terence and Lynne, and Kim and Clive. I simply love it when our friends come to our gigs. Also cool was seeing the old combination of my partner and Keith's wife, chit-chatting.

I played, for the first time in public, Sigmund Romberg's "Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise". Also played my two current favourite Jobim songs, "How Insensitive" and "Once I Loved". There's just something about the bossanova played on guitar that makes me feel I can handle anything and eveything that life throws my way.

I thought about something the other day, and it reminded me of my conclusion I came to many years ago: that you can go to a psychologist for months, even years, and not say what it is that's really bothering you. The thing I thought of was how, even when I'm dealing with really hectic issues in my private life, it's my choice to blog about other things, more upbeat things - things I myself wouldn't mind reading over and over again, either because they're interesting, funny or just generally inspiring.

I've decided to attach a picture of Keith and myself, taken in 2008. I must be honest, that's not the same me I am today. I've changed - a bit on the outside, but a lot on the inside. You'd be surprised. (Just added a recent one, to highlight the external changes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.