"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Monday 12 December 2011

The Perfect Antidote

Written Wed. 7 December 2011

Last night I went to support Khadija Heeger’s regular poetry event, called “Poetry for Love”, at Sabrina’s, a restaurant diagonally opposite Long Street Swimming Baths. It was the first time I’d been able to go to one of her events, and this was unfortunately the last one for 2011. Sometimes it’s hard to believe the year’s about to end. Shoo, what a year!

The artists for the night were poets and singers, most of whom performed original work – what a treat! I am a great admirer of Khadija’s work: it leaps off the page when you read it, but the true power of her talent is most evident when she performs live. I’m fascinated by the way poets remember their poetry, but I suppose it’s like singers with their lyrics. When I see someone like Khadija performing to such small audiences, I feel frustrated, because, with her skill and finesse, she should be sought-after and celebrated. I love the sheer abandon with which she writes, going all the way with her imagery, taking her audience on a ride so wild, they find themselves panting when she’s done. Why, I keep asking myself, are such richly talented artists constantly struggling to get their work heard? Why!? Why are the “decision-makers” in the Performing Arts not actively engaged in sourcing artists of this calibre?

Also on the programme was UK visitor, Raymond Antrobus, whose poem about his impressions of Cape Town gave us a glimpse of our mountain and climate from a foreigner’s perspective. Delightful turn of phrase, warm, witty, wonderful energy from this engaging young poet. Such a joy to hear poetry like that– intense, raw, impassioned, yet deeply sensitive - written by a man. I was shaken to my core - I love it when someone’s manipulation of words stirs me like that. Check out his blog: http://raymondantrobus.blogspot.com.

Another artist was Daneel Van Der Walt, who sang original songs, accompanied by a guitarist (whose name escapes me - I’ll find out). I enjoyed her style, and would love to hear more of her work. She has a voice that’s versatile, with light and dark tones, as well as a soulfulness that at first took me by surprise. Her lyrics are clever, at times poignant, and her compositions are good. It’s such a treat to be exposed to Capetonian artists I haven’t encountered before.

Noni Nozuko Poni sang three songs, all a capella. The first two were in isiXhosa: Ntjilo Ntjilo, a Miriam Makeba jazz ballad, and a second song, which she wrote for her mother. The third was a soul ballad – I can’t remember who the original artist was. Noni has one of those voices that transport you to some other state of consciousness - you have to listen to her with closed eyes, and surrender to the sound, allowing it to envelope you. She has a huge vocal range, and her phrasing is delightful. Another artist who needs a much wider audience.

Maya Spectre also sang three songs: A Day in the Life of a Fool (also known as “Black Orpheus”, but with different lyrics) and Summertime, both well-known jazz standards. She was accompanied by Elton Goslett, whose electric guitar playing was crystal clear and utterly beautiful. Her third song was an original, which she sang unaccompanied. My honest opinion is that this kind of night lends itself to original work, so artists who have a body of original work should exploit the opportunity to do their own material.

The final poet was Yisir Daly-Ward, whose unassuming style belied the powerhouse of poetry she was about to share with us. Her first poem was short, and, because she read it from her phone, she came across as almost-apologetic when she read it. But her next two poems dispelled that myth. Completely. Wow! Once again, a gifted wordsmith, whose acute – and often humorous - observations of people, of life, of nuances, keep her listeners spellbound. Her voice itself has a rich tonal quality, a strength, a depth, a sense of age-old wisdom, of timelessness - I could listen to it for hours. What a lovely poet!

And so ended a thoroughly enjoyable evening. I had taken my mom along with me, and I think that, although she was slightly uncomfortable with some of the more explicit content (!), as a performer herself, she actually enjoyed the evening.

I’d come to the end of a 6-week lecturing contract yesterday, so I was a bit sad when I got to the restaurant, but all that self-pity came to a well-timed end once the programme started.

Poetry ……. . the perfect antidote.

1 comment:

  1. I was just googling myself (#hides) and I came across this. Thank you for your kind words Trudy. Love and Light. Noni

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to place a comment here.