"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Tuesday 8 July 2014

Reflecting on the Thai project – No. 2: Five fundraising concerts

When I made up my mind to take on the one-year project of raising money to enable my daughter to go to Thailand with World Challenge, I knew that it would occupy my mind every single day, sitting alongside every other project or goal. Because I’m a practical person, I decided to combine as many of my goals as I could. I’m a full-time teacher and a part-time musician; my full-time job is there all the time, but I constantly have to market myself to find music work. My regular music partner had just relocated to another city, I needed to redefine myself as a musician, and I wanted to do so in a way that increased my networks and databases. The perfect solution was to put on various concerts, with different musicians, at different venues. Raising money in that way would be fun, for me, and not just hard work.
 
The first concert: 11 August 2013
Our first concert was held at Stephanian’s Sports Clubhouse, in Ottery, on a Sunday afternoon. We pre-sold tickets at R100 and were lucky to be able to sell more at the door.  We asked people to bring their own refreshments and arranged the hall with pretty tables. Friends and family pitched in to make it a very successful event. With an exciting backing band consisting of Keith Tabisher (guitar), Valentino Europa (double bass) and Roy Davids (drums), we had a line-up of young vocalists from Belhar in the first half: Ruby Truter, Courtney  Johnson and Zeta Botha. I sang a selection of originals and covers with the band in the second half – an absolute treat for me. My cousin, Derek Ronnie, was our MC. Andre Manuel did the sound and William Rose was our photographer.


The second concert: 1 December 2013
While my original idea had been to hold our second event in October, unforeseen matters derailed that plan. It’s important to keep your eye on your goal, as well as to be flexible and think on your feet when Plan A doesn’t work out. With that in mind, I adjusted the plan, and went ahead with our second fundraiser on 1 December, also on a Sunday afternoon. This time, I did a trio concert with Keith and Tino, at Baran’s Kurdish Restaurant, on Greenmarket Square, in the city centre. This time, we charged R100 again, but split the takings with the restaurant, as the ticket included a light meal. The food was great, I loved the venue with its Turkish décor, but decided that I wouldn’t repeat the ticket sharing concept, as it decreased our takings significantly. My son, Nick, was the MC, we did our own sound, and a young photographer, Lelie Hamman, took the photos.


The third concert: 21 December 2013 
If anyone had told me I’d end up doing two concerts in one month, I would’ve said, “Never!”. But that’s exactly what happened.  There were two main driving factors: one, I really wanted to have completed three events before the end of the year, and two, it was a perfect opportunity to gig with my former duo partner. When I heard that Wayne Bosch was visiting Cape Town over Christmas, I asked if he’d do a concert with me and he was very keen. We did a duo concert of mainly originals (including two of Wayne’s, played solo) - on 21 December, exactly a year after our previous performance. This was on a Saturday evening, at Erin Hall in Rondebosch. Once again, we charged R100, including refreshments after the show, but this time friends donated home-baked goods and helped with the serving, etc. Nick was once again the MC, we did our own sound, and Gregory Franz took the photos.


The fourth concert: 1 March 2014
The poor turnout at our last concert was a sobering reminder that the festive season was a risky time to put on an event. I realised that January was just as tricky, and that sometimes the festive season recovery period extended to February, so I chose the first Saturday in March for our next event. This time, the venue was Wynberg Secondary School, and the focus was on giving young musicians a platform to perform. Artists on the programme were Kai Chavda (a 10-year-old guitarist), Elton Goslett (versatile guitarist), Joe Schaffers (seasoned jazz singer) and the young band, The Dales, which did its debut performance. (The Dales, a 4-piece rock band, included my son, Nick Geffen, on drums, and featured my daughter, Summer, on vocals. A family first!) Others in the band were Ross on lead guitar, Dean on bass, and Matt on rhythm guitar. The final act was a talented group from the UCT School of Jazz, which I called The Keegan Steenkamp Ensemble. Andre Manuel did our sound, Mark Kleinschmidt was our MC and Chandre Lil’c Cee was our photographer. We collaborated with a small catering business and a close friend also donated yummy refreshments. Admission was R50, to encourage our young performers’ friends to support.


The fifth concert: 5 April 2014    
The final concert was a very special event for me – I collaborated with one of my heroes, the legendary jazz-ghoema guitarist, Errol Dyers, in a venue I’d always wanted to do a concert in, the District Six Museum Homecoming Centre. Summer and a friend, Nina, did our opening act, on vocals and ukuleles. Errol and I did the rest of the show, with a special treat for the audience in the form of a solo mini-set by Errol. I loved every moment of making music with Errol; the concert, for me, was a dream come true. We were once again in the capable hands of Andre Manuel (sound), Derek Ronnie (MC) and Gregory Franz (photos). The museum handled the refreshments. For some reason (bowing to pressure?), I charged R80 for this concert. Not only does it not make sense, in hindsight, but it was impractical finding R20 change for everyone. I suppose everything we do really is a lesson, in one form or another.  


Re-reading what I’ve just written, I can see the lessons I learnt along the way. The interesting thing about these lessons is that they empower and liberate us, so that when we embark on future ventures, we have an updated set of skills and knowledge. 

Life is cool, as long as you keep your eyes, ears, mind and heart wide open.  Right?


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.