"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Thursday 5 January 2017

Reflecting on 2016, Part 2

Written on Tuesday 03 January 2017
By the time we reached July, I was feeling a lot more settled in my job, and was getting used to negotiating my way through peak-hour traffic twice a day. In fact, my new car was such a novelty, I actually enjoyed spending time in it.

In July, I also confirmed my fourth annual December concert with Wayne Bosch. This was a big deal to me – it meant the start of months of planning! Another music project started in July, which saw me rehearsing for a trio concert with Mervyn Africa (pianist) and Errol Dyers (guitarist). The concert itself took place in August, at the Catholic Welfare & Development Centre, in Athlone. 

On 16 July, I went back to my restaurant gig at Sabria’s, after an eight-week break related to the month of Ramadaan. Sabria’s is a Muslim-owned restaurant, so they don’t have live music during the fast. It affects two weeks before and after the actual fast.

Summer and I went to see our next musical, My Fair Lady, on the 23rd, at Artscape. Earlier that day, I attended the funeral of one of my favourite high school teachers, Maureen Adriaan. It was a time of deep sadness and reflection for us all, as we said goodbye to someone who had impacted so profoundly on our lives.

In August, we were still trying to find a dressmaker for my daughter’s matric ball dress.  

On 6 August, one of my cousins, Denzil Haupt, brought the whole extended family together to celebrate his 60th birthday. A memorable occasion indeed. 

The next evening, I took part in the trio concert I’d been rehearsing for. I had no way of knowing it at the time, but it was to be the catalyst for something really special, a few months later.

In all this time, I continued dancing, as much for physical exercise as for psychological well-being. I’d long embraced the fact that challenges were inevitable, but that our attitude towards them – and to life, in general – was the key to getting through them. For me, this has to include some sort of physical exercise. Ironically, in 2016, my busy schedule and my tiredness (from all the challenges) often saw me skipping dance sessions. You get to midnight, you want to dance, but you also know that you need to rest and sleep, in order to recharge your batteries, and meet the next day’s demands.
My usual dilemma, late at night:  do I dance, journal, read, play guitar, or go to sleep? Typical Trudy.

At the end of August, my daughter started her September mock final exams. On 16 Sept they finished, and that same night was their matric dance. She looked like a beautiful forest princess – the look she’d been going for – and she had a great time.

On the last day of August, my 6-month probation period in my new job came to an end. Nothing happened - no lightning bolt, no drum roll, but I felt the significance of the day. I was about to turn 55, I had taken a huge leap of faith by changing careers, so getting beyond probation was a milestone I needed to observe, even if it meant quietly celebrating in my heart.

On 10 Sept, I turned 55. That night I sang at my weekly restaurant gig and didn’t tell anyone it was my birthday. Again, I marked the occasion in my own way. I felt like lucky and special, to be doing a full night’s solo gig on my birthday.  The next day marked 500 days since I’d started dancing. A good feeling. I was proving to myself that I had staying power.

I was delighted to be asked to do the live music at the annual TVET ICT Conference, for the third consecutive year. On 20 Sept, Keith Tabisher and I did the gig at the Lord Charles Hotel in Somerset West. It was a memorable evening, and we took some happy pics.

The third school term ended on 30 Sept, which meant we were just weeks away from the final exams. Exceptionally high marks in all her subjects rewarded my daughter for all the studying she’d been doing. She was shocked to end up as one of the top 20 matric students at their school for the Sept exams. I have to include this: She said that, when she fetched her award, she looked around at who was on stage and it was “all the clever people and me”. J

On 13 October, I attended the annual prize-giving event at my daughter’s school – an emotional evening for me. The next day, I attended their Valedictory service, the school’s final goodbye to their matriculants before their study break. The formalities were followed by refreshments, as well as the singing of the matric song for the parents.   

Shortly after that, we hit a strange but exciting combination of events – three days after my daughter started her matric final exams, I boarded a flight to Durban, with Mervyn Africa and Errol Dyers! We’d been invited to repeat our trio concert in Pietermaritzburg, as part of the 2016 Social Justice Film & Arts Festival, organised by PACSA (Pietermaritzburg Agency for Community Social Action), our generous hosts.  What an exciting experience!  On my return, after living as a full-time musician for just four days, I felt like I had undergone profound change, especially in the way I viewed myself and my choices. That new beginning is yet to be understood by others. I know what it means to me.

On 28 November, my daughter wrote her last matric exam, ending her high school education. All that remained was to receive the results on 5 Jan 2017. The next day, she started a holiday job, determined to save for some long-held goals. She plans to continue her studies in 2018.  

For me, November and December were the months in which I finalised (& obsessed about) the details of my annual concert with Wayne Bosch. Putting on a self-funded concert is no joke. It’s a huge risk, and one I take every year. I made some changes this time, but went into the concert with my eyes wide open, aware of the risks. Every year, the concert is an artistic success; I get to collaborate musically with my hero, I get to feature young artists, and I give Capetonians a festive season event to attend. I’ll keep working on the business concept, until I reach all my goals. 

December was a very lucky month for me - I ended up doing ten gigs. (See separate blog post.) I went on leave on 22 December, a day after my son’s 22nd birthday. We don’t make a fuss on Christmas Day, and I was very happy to be asked to do a Christmas lunch gig at a fancy hotel. My concert was on 28 December, and New Year’s Eve found me back at Sabria’s. Skipped all parties, skipped the countdown. As the teens say, "Can't deal". 

In fact, this festive season, I skipped all kinds of social events that made no sense to me and that feed the capitalist monster. The excessive indulgence that gets confused with ‘tradition’ achieves so little that is truly meaningful. I have no interest in even pretending it’s ok with me. The only exceptions were when I could earn money through music, because music feeds my soul and every cent I earn goes into supporting my little family. Every single parent knows that those responsibilities do not take a festive break.  

And immediately after December comes January, itself a ravenous beast.

Many people made 2016 a very special year for me. I hope that I have adequately thanked them all.

I’d like to thank my children, Nick and Summer, for being the beautiful people they are. I am very proud of them, and feel like the luckiest person alive, to be their mother. Watching them become young adults, and seeing how they position themselves in this country of ours, with its widening gap between the haves and the have nots, is one of the most interesting things to me, as their mother. May they continue to be agents of meaningful societal change.


Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.