"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Monday 2 January 2017

Gigs in December 2016

December 2016 was a very cool month for me, in terms of performing live music, as well as a new offer to perform regularly in 2017. I sincerely hope that 2017 takes its cue from December 2016.

My month of performing started on Saturday the 3rd, with my weekly gig at Sabria’s Restaurant, in Wynberg, a suburb about 6km from where I live. My mom went with me, as it was her weekend with me. Two good friends I’d bumped into earlier that day came to have supper there - Chantel Erfort Manuel and her husband, Andre Manuel. They brought a friend whom I’d met through them many years before – Brandon. I love it when my friends come to the restaurant, so that was a special night for me.

The next gig was a week later, Saturday the 10th, also at Sabria’s. When I arrived, I noticed that a table had been placed very close to where I normally set up, and I wondered how the evening would pan out. All was well, though. I knew one of the people in the party, and they all loved the music. While I was setting up, I mentioned to them that my music was generally soft, but that they should tell me if it was too loud for them to have a conversation. Always tricky – the softer the music, to accommodate people placed a bit too close, the harder it is for those sitting further away to hear me. I don’t play through the restaurant’s sound system, with speakers placed throughout the restaurant, so the sound comes directly from my speakers.

The next gig was a day later, Sunday the 11th, at Corpus Christi Church Hall, in Wynberg. It was a seniors’ Christmas party, and we did a sing-along. The people present responded well, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I can’t even begin to describe how much it means to me to sing for seniors. Thanks to my dynamic friend, Anne Siroky, for inviting me to make a contribution with my music.

A few days later, on Wednesday the 14th, I sang at an upmarket seniors’ residence called Evergreen, in Plumstead. A lady who’d been at the Corpus Christi event, who lived at Evergreen, had invited me to provide live music at their end of year party. This time, they chose not to do a sing-along, preferring to listen to me, but quite a few of them requested my business card.  I love the element of the unknown that every gig presents. It often necessitates thinking on my feet and rising to the occasion. I love it.

On Friday the 16th, a public holiday, I sang one song at a service for my friend, Shaun Brown, who was ordained as a pastor. This was a very special gathering and it was a privilege for me to be included in the programme. It also turned out to be where I met up with someone I’d been in a band with many years ago, guitarist Clive Fester, who then opened up a few other performing opportunities for me. As I said on Facebook, I have encountered so many musicians who are not generous of spirit towards other musicians, that when I meet someone who is, it is such a pleasant surprise.  

The next night, Saturday the 17th, found me back at Sabria’s, where Clive and his wife came for supper, with a table of friends. How cool?! That night was extra special for me, because not only was my mom there, but so were my children. My daughter filmed a few videos of me with her phone, and I was able to post one on Facebook.

Saturday the 24th was my next Sabria’s gig, and I was alone – no mom, no kids, no friends. When I have none of my people there, I’m reminded that it is a job, after all, and that the magic is what you bring to it. The place was quieter than usual, but I loved the fact that I could still entertain the people who’d chosen to have their supper there that night.



Christmas Day was different to the last few years, because I had a gig! I performed with Clive Fester (guitarist) and Ebrahim Larney (vocalist) at The President Hotel, in Sea Point. Something I hadn’t done in ages was sing to backing tracks, which was how most of the gig went, with Clive adding live guitar. I did a few songs ‘’unplugged”, as they called it, basically singing and playing my guitar, and Clive provided a fuller sound with his beautiful playing. To my delight, he also did backing vocals on some of the songs I sang, giving them new life. I have done quite a few Christmas Day gigs, but not in the past three years.  It was a lot of fun.



And then the highlight of highlights of my musical experiences for 2016: Wednesday the 28th, my 4th annual concert with guitarist Wayne Bosch. We held it at Erin Hall, this time, as we had in 2013. It is an old church building in Rondebosch which was restored for use as a hall. It is used largely for spiritual events. For the past two years, our concert was held at the District Six Museum. This show was such a big deal to me, and satisfying in so many ways, that I have to do a separate blog post about it. I’m just waiting for more pics from the photographer.  

My final gig for the year was on New Year’s Eve, Saturday the 31st: back at Sabria’s, the perfect place to round off a fascinating year of live music. Having my mom there, as well as my friend, Mary-Anne, made the evening really really special.



Wow! Can we do this again, January? :-) 

Oh, right - the NEW gig is a monthly morning market in Claremont, just next to Palmyra Junction, in Palmyra Road, just behind Claremont Station. It will be every last Saturday of the month, but the first one will be on SUNDAY 29 Jan 2017. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.