"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Monday 28 September 2009

Double Funeral



Written on Saturday 26/09/09

The last time I went to a double funeral was in September 1984, when my very good friend, Reece Redcliffe, and his ex-girlfriend, Debbie Van Boom, in twisted Romeo and Juliet fashion, shared a funeral ceremony. The specifics of their deaths, up until today, cause me immense grief. The newspapers reported that Reece had fatally stabbed, first Debbie, and then himself. Imagine the horror of finding the lifeless, bloodied bodies, permanently altering the tranquility of the suburban home and shaking the entire Glenhaven community to its core! Reece and Debbie had been friends since they were tiny children, and their families had been close. When they started dating, as young adults, everyone thought it would be a fairy tale ending, white wedding, happily ever after, with lots of little Reeces and Debbies running around….. But it was not to be. After quite a few break ups, they’d each moved on, and Debbie was engaged to someone else.

So many stories abound, as to what transpired, that fateful day of 3 September 1984, but only the people present in that kitchen would know the truth, two of them now dead. So what is my theory? That a third person encountered them, a disagreement ensued, which got seriously out of control, and the third person put an end to the lives of the two vibrant, passionate, popular young people, best friends since childhood. Interesting that someone close to one of the parties involved not only didn’t pitch at the funeral, but went missing immediately afterwards, severing all contact with the family. Interesting that nobody put two and two together and questioned the police about their shoddy work.

Those of us who discussed and shared this theory had gone through so much pain, that it was never on anyone’s agenda to go the public route with correcting the ugly stories that had been splashed all over the newspapers. We all knew, without a doubt, that Reece would never have got angry enough to hurt, let alone kill, Debbie. I would sooner believe that fire won’t burn me than to believe that.

But today’s double funeral, of Manuel and Alice Abrahams, my partner’s elderly parents, was entirely different. This couple had been married for 56 years, and had walked a long road together, with a shared progeny of 5 children, 13 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren. Their deaths, two days apart, gave their story an extremely unusual ending. I regret to say I didn’t know them well (but that’s another story!), because they sounded like an interesting couple, quite unalike in many ways, and yet their life journeys had intertwined over six decades, which can only bear testimony to a very deep love, one which defied convention.

Funerals are for those left behind. For closure. For the coming together of the clan. For communities to pitch up and show their friendship and support. Funerals have a hierarchy of mourners, identifiable in the pre-arranged seating in the church, the choice of who’ll stand at the entrance and greet people as they arrive. When there’s a drive to a graveyard after the church, it’s identifiable in who sits in the specially provided vehicles that drive immediately behind the hearse, etc. Funerals are where other people, outsiders, scrutinize the family and try to figure out who’s who, who looks exactly like whom, who’s got a baby and isn’t married, who’s looking good, looking old, or simply……looking. Funerals are sometimes where we encounter people we haven’t seen for ages, people we don’t plan to see for ages, and people we now remember why we haven’t seen for ages.

Funerals are occasions to put aside your issues and focus on the matter at hand – being dignified as a mark of respect for those who have passed on to the next realm. Even a day where you shake the hand of someone your life has an unfortunate-connection-by-association with, and feel genuine sympathy for.

One of the priests at the funeral spoke about the vows made at weddings, about staying together ‘until death parts us’, and about the very special nature of today’s double funeral.

He said someone had asked him, on hearing of the double funeral, “Was it an accident?”, and he’d said, “No, it was a miracle.”

The songwriter in me cannot but be struck and moved by the awesome power of a couple dying within two days of each other - there’s nothing accidental about that kind of love!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Trudy. My name is Irvin. I don't know you, but I was a very close friend of Reece and Debbie. I belonged to the surf life saving club with Reece and a surfing buddy as well. I knew Debbie from school, Alexander sinton high school.
    I knew both Reece's parents well and also knew Debbie's mom.
    I was one of the pallbearers at Reeces funeral, a picture that was published in the Sunday Extra at the time. If I recall I am on the right front of the coffin coming out of the church.
    I was wondering if you could make contact with me to discuss your blog. Your name I am familiar with but I cannot place you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trudy,

    I know this is an old blog post, but just came across it. I met Reece in 1973, and over the ensuing years, spent lots of time at their home two blocks away, in particular enjoyed the chats with his 'old man', and saddened by the rapid decline in his health after the deaths. I knew them well.
    I also knew Debbie, can't remember exactly but they moved into the estate long after us, so I doubt they knew each other as 'tiny kids'.
    I also know Irvin and still friends to this day, and we have differing views on the incident.
    Before I go further, an event of this nature happens on average once every week even in Australia, and many times more in SA, hence the recent protests against GBV and Femicide. In most of these cases it is 'totally out of character', with family and friends dealing with the trauma and wondering the 'what ifs'.
    What if I had contacted Reece on that ( for me) busy weekend of 1st/2nd September when I heard from a mutual close friend that he was reaching out to talk; what if a close friend I spoke to yesterday had gotten his call the night before?
    We have to accept what has happened and that we could not stop it.

    Being very close to the events on the day, there are facts of what we know happened, so that people can make up their own minds.

    We know that Debbie was rapidly preparing for marriage to another person. I know his brother well, and saw both of them on the day, in the days before cell phones I was the one his brother heard the news from. They did not disappear. On that note, we must remember that her partner would have been deeply hurt by what happened, and would be hurt by inferences pointing at who could only be him.

    On the Monday morning Reece dressed in a three piece suit, followed his usual routine, dropping off one of our family members at high school, then went to his school and asked his principal for the day off. Note, that his dress was 'out of character'- one of his pupils I coached at the time said he was affectionately known as "Mr Lightbody's" for his casual dress style.

    He returned to Glenhaven, my brother passing him with surprise in opposite direction as he drove down Glenhaven Ave, towards the Van Boom residence.

    We know that he spent some time that morning speaking to Debbie, her mum and sister, and they informed him of the finality of her decisions. He left when her mum and sister left for a dental appointment, knowing that Debbie had a dress appointment late afternoon.

    We know that he returned home, and his uncle living with them at time observed him lying on his bed writing. We presume that this was the 'suicide note' that was found on his bed, including his funeral song requests, which bizarrely included "If I can't have you". His uncle said that did not utter a word before leaving again.

    We know that they were subsequently found by her returning mum and sister. Note that the doors were locked from inside, and somebody had to enter via a window.

    Working less than one kilometre away at the time, along with a mutual friend and colleague who lived next to the Van Booms, I heard the news very quickly from him. By the time I stopped at the scene my curious dad whom I had rung from work, was already walking into the front door.
    I later noted the arrival of her partner, who came back out holding his head in his hands in shock.

    What is also worth noting, if you were at the funeral, that Debbie's sister was visibly and audibly upset when that particular song mentioned played, and switched the player off immediately.

    Make up the theories and speculation, but bear in mind the facts, and that other people were hurt. There were real victims.
    As much as it was unbelievable to us at the time, to me Reece was not a victim, and we cannot sympathise or condone the selfish actions he took.

    All the best, and I hope you may have by now come to terms with it.

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording.I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading.I am impressed with your work and skill.Thank you so much. 家族葬 新宮市

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to place a comment here.