"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Sunday 8 July 2018

Weigh Day

There's a day in my life that's come to rival the significance of Pay Day, and that's Weigh Day.

I weigh myself every fortnight, on a Sunday morning. I drive through to Claremont, and make my way to the public scale in one of the passages in Cavendish Connect. I look forward to weighing myself, because it's my way of holding myself accountable to the goals I set in January this year. I get onto the scale - fully-clothed, with shoes - pop my R5 coin into the slot, wait a few seconds while the machine makes little buzzing sounds, and then, like magic, it appears on the screen - the info I've spent the past two weeks being curious about: my weight. 

I wait for the printout, enter the info onto my phone, where I update all my goals, and off I go.

Today was Weigh Day, and I got up, did my laundry, got showered and dressed, and  made my way to Claremont. When I approached the scale, there was no "Out of Order" sign on it, so my daughter commented, "At least it's not out of order." When we got to it, however, it was not connected - in fact it was not even plugged in! Undaunted, I asked the security gentleman if we could plug it in, only to be told that it was, in fact, OUT OF ORDER!!! This is not the first time - in fact, it's the third.

I was really annoyed. I hate being dependent on something or someone that keeps disappointing me. When that happens, I take steps to release myself from both the dependency and the disappointment. I decided I'd buy my own scale, and just stick to my fortnightly ritual. Looked at a couple of scales, checked the prices and what the scales allegedly do, and decided I'd wait a while before buying myself one. Maybe at the end of the month.

And then we worked our way through our list for the morning, and I felt strangely liberated, not having weighed. I resolved to continue in a disciplined way for the next two weeks, and then check if the scale is working. I'll keep setting my goals, and see how it goes.

Actually, there's a scale at a pharmacy, not too far from where I work. Hmmmmm......  Maybe tomorrow will be Weigh Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.