"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Monday 2 July 2018

Living my truth

Because music courses through my veins, there's very little in my life that isn't set to music. In fact, how I usually know that something isn't right for me, is when there's no music involved. It might sound strange, but I think there are enough people reading this who know what I mean. I even sing my affirmations, because they have to be said repetitively; I turn each one into a song, and that makes the five minutes go really fast. I use the singing of the affirmation to do a few vocal things - I suppose you'd call them warm ups.

One of my affirmations emerged as a song, one day while I was driving, tapping a beat on the steering wheel:
I  - always live my truth
Always live my truth
Always live my truth
I  - attract into my life
Attract into my life
Things that are my truth

I have no, no time for bullshit
I have no, no time for bullshit
I have no, no time for bullshit
No, no! No no time for bullshit

I  - always live my truth
Always live my truth
Always live my truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, so it's definitely not something I'd sing at a concert :-), but affirmations have to express one's essence, firmly held views or aspirations, right? Haha!

What do I mean when I refer to living one's truth? It basically refers to anything in our lives where we choose a path that's right for us. It refers to political convictions, diet, choice of hobbies, choice of careers, choice of friends, choice of forms of expression - artistic or otherwise - and so much more.

In 2003, I did the Mind Power course with Robin Banks, and one of the many things that gripped me during the course was his saying, when explaining the Six Laws of the Mind,  that if we didn't like being part of something, we could simply walk away from it - we had a choice to be part of something or not. It sounds so obvious,  but think about it - how many times do you find yourself chatting to a group of people you like, when the topic turns to something you'd rather not be part of? It's not that easy to walk away. Not easy, but not impossible.

I could write about this for hours, but I just want to plant a seed today.

Two thoughts:
1. Up until the age of 32, I was denied the vote in the country of my birth. I vowed to myself, in April 1994, when I voted in South Africa's first democratic election, that I would celebrate my freedom by making well-considered choices wherever possible. (I don't always get it right, but it's a goal.)

2. Earlier this year, someone walked around the office, offering doughnuts to everyone. Everyone but me. It was a huge moment for me, because it meant my colleagues had finally understood that all my No-thank-yous meant they shouldn't even bother offering me. If I could get people to understand and respect that about me, I can get them to understand that they shouldn't even bother trying to gossip to me - it's something I don't want any part of. This one's a bit more complicated, because a decent conversation can quickly descend into a gossip session, which is when I have to choose how to walk away - I either have to indicate verbally that I'm not interested, or make some excuse to leave the company. The braver choice - but not the easier one - is the first one.

I suppose it's like anything else we want to get right, in our lives - practise,  practise, practise, until it becomes second nature.

Have a cool day.

Live your truth.

                                                          At home - 20 June 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.