"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Saturday 24 October 2009

2009 Prize-giving at Westerford High School, Newlands, Cape Town

Written Thursday 22/10/09

Last night I went to the annual prize-giving celebration at Westerford High, where my son is about to finish his first year (Grade 8). The Noel Taylor Hall (named after the school's first Principal) was crammed with pupils from all the grades, as well as parents. The seating was demarcated, so everyone knew where they were supposed to sit. (That already impressed me!) Extra seating had been created in a temporary annex, giving the hall more capacity, and that was where the younger pupils sat.

It was clear that careful planning had also gone into the layout and decoration of the stage, as well as the seating for the orchestra, at the foot of the stage. Every pupil was dressed in full winter uniform (smarter than the summer one), as per the instructions in the notice to parents.

The evening was an interesting mixture of formality and informality, with the various pupils tasked with addressing the huge gathering speaking eloquently, with just the right amount of humour. It was good to hear the prefects giving reports on the many aspects of life at Westerford, from the sporting and cultural activities to the part that fascinates me a lot - the service organisations. It's clear that the ethos of the school is deliberately values-driven and aimed at promoting well-rounded citizens. I'm actually fascinated by the school and how it manages to get so many elements essential to education so right. Yes, their fees are relatively high (+- R17000 p.a.), but that's not the only reason they're able to deliver and produce such excellence. The people who run the school are the secret ingredient. Of that I'm 100% sure.

Not only are they people of vision, themselves, but their focus is squarely on developing people; their acknowledgement of everyone, no matter how menial their rank, is evidence of that. Something special, for me, was the way both the Principal (Rob Le Roux)and the MC mentioned all the pupils present who were not going to be receiving prizes, and acknowledged their hard work. What a nice gesture! I'm sure it went a long way towards soothing a few egos in the audience (of both pupils and parents!).

The orchestra played a few items before, during and after the event, adding another dimension to the evening. The odd mistake did nothing to detract from the overall beauty and significance of the music - played by pupils (and a teacher) from the school, conducted by one of their teachers - all proudly Westerfordian.

Once again, I want to mention the interesting balance between the formal and the informal, on the night. The staff entered the hall as a procession, and all or most of them wore academic robes. The staff member who read out the names of the prize winners was extremely formal - his voice, his register, his choice of words: everything about him suggested someone who'd been in academia for many years and who clearly loved what he did. The printed programme set everything out clearly, and I was impressed to see that the lyrics of Gaudeamus Igitur, their school song and our national anthem were all printed in the programme - all of us were included in the singing of all three! (I was, once again, impressed at the attention to detail, as well as the spirit of inclusiveness!).

Juxtaposed with that formality, were the many pupils who came up onto the stage to address the audience. They were definitely the highlight of the event, because they were essentially living proof of the success of the school: all of them were well-spoken, articulate, interesting, caring, engaging and funny. The sight of the principal having a good laugh at some of the whacky things said by the various pupils also gave an indication of the spirit at the school. One doesn't feel that old-style, draconian ethos that many of us suffered through, all those years ago, but rather a refreshing alternative - a truly empowering atmosphere, where young people are nurtured and moulded, encouraged and applauded, but most of all, respected for the individuals they are.

Before ending, I want to mention two other things: firstly, that the guest of honour was the Premier of the Western Cape, Helen Zille, who (I was relieved to find!) was not there to make a speech, but merely to grace the event with her presence, and secondly, that a few days before the event, The Sunday Times had published the top 100 public schools in South Africa, and Westerford had emerged as No. 1! Needless to say, everything about the evening had had, as a backdrop, that wonderful accolade.

I suppose the comment my son made afterwards (he'd been at school since the morning, and it was after 10pm that the event ended) was the perfect conclusion for me, given the emotions I had experienced during the evening: I had one of those lump-in-the-throat moments, as we were walking to the car - it was a beautiful night, we were walking on the pathway approaching the swimming pool, Devil's Peak towering majestically before us,when my son said,with all the innocence and enthusiasm of a 14-year-old: "I love this place!".

To read more about this innovative, ground-breaking school, go to www.westerford.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.