"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Tuesday 27 October 2009

Do, or don't do

It's been an exciting few months, for me, and I can feel the momentum building. On the 4th of July, this year, I started a duo gig (with Super-Wayne, Wayne Bosch) at The Food Lover's Market, in Claremont, and set myself a series of goals, because that's what I love to do. Some were (and always will be) more private than others, but the fact is, I've had an amazing time! Most of the goals were in the category of pushing personal boundaries and seeing how far I could go. Some were more altruistic, and some were just practical. Crooner, Michael Buble, in a silly moment during a recent interview, quoting a character from Star Wars (I think), said, "There's no such thing as try -there's just do, or don't do."
I like that concept. Over the past few months, I've sung songs I'd never have attempted a year ago - and the fun part is that while I'm singing, I'm checking myself out and thinking, "Ok, so you're doing this now - let's see how you do in the chorus, then the bridge, then the next verse, then the whole form again with some improvisation...." It's like a game, an experiment, but I'm never going to know if I can or not, unless I actually DO!

In many other parts of my life, I apply the same principle. Right now, I've committed to a project with Baran, a really nice person with great integrity, and a restaurant owner (owns Baran's and Mesopotamia, both in the Cape Town CBD), and a lot of what I'm doing is just pure gut feel. I love music, all forms of creativity, I love Cape Town, and I absolutely love Greenmarket Square, where Baran's Theatre Restaurant is located. This Sunday, I realise quite a few dreams, when I perform in my first gig there, alongside Super-Wayne.

Over the years, I've compiled a list of my dream gig venues, and Baran's was one of them: in 5 days' time, I achieve that dream! One that I seriously hope to achieve within the next year (I'll have to just open my mouth and talk to people, won't I?!) is the top of Table Mountain. (And no, playing my guitar in the overnight hut doesn't count!) Watch this space! Some of my others were Kirstenbosch (managed the Silvertree Restaurant, as part of the winter concerts, but not the outside venue), the amphitheatre at the V&A Waterfront (1998), the Table Bay Hotel (2008/9), Spier Wine Farm (did the Spier Village Hotel, but not the outside venue) and Strandloper (did a wedding there, a few years ago). Like a lot of other South Africans, I've also had on my dream gig list performing to Nelson Mandela. Wonder if he eats at Baran's?

And then there's Trevor Manuel......but that's another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.