"If there's music inside of you, you've got to let it out." (From my song, Music Inside of Me)

Hi! I'm Trudy Rushin, and this is my blog, created in June 2009. I am a singer-songwriter-composer who plays guitar. Born and bred in Cape Town, South Africa, I blog about whatever captures my imagination or moves me. Sometimes I even come up with what I like to call 'the Rushin Solution'. Enjoy my random rantings. Comment, if you like,
or find me on Facebook: Trudy Rushin, Singer-Songwriter.

I also do gigs - solo, duo or trio - so if you're looking for vocal-guitar jazz music to add a sprinkle of magic to your event, send me an e-mail to guitartrudy@gmail.com.

To listen to me singing one or two of my original songs, type my name on www.soundcloud.com or www.youtube.com


















Thursday 22 July 2021

Stronger /Lockdown Day 483

It occurred to me, recently, that everytime I had overcome adversity, I had become stronger. Not only stronger, but more in touch with myself. Each challenge that I've encountered - and there've been many - has forced me to dig deep and find the strength I wasn't always sure I had. The more difficulties I overcame, the more I realised that resourcefulness was a skill honed by struggle. While I'm not romanticising the struggles that people go through, I feel that I've become better at coping with difficult things because of my previous experiences. 

Most importantly, I've learnt the following:

 - to be clear about who I am (and what I stand for)

- to accept that we're not all at the same point in our journeys 

- that when people underestimate me, it's actually not about me

- to be patient 

- to be fine with delayed gratification

- to trust myself

- to believe that there is always a solution

- to remain a person of integrity

- to give myself permission to feel crap on the days that I do

- to give myself permission to dream about a better future, no matter what the present is like

- that there's nothing as satisfying as moving on when the time's right 

- that I'm not afraid of change - in fact, as scary as it is, I love it

Oh, there are so many more I could list.  For what I'm going through right now, I had my Plan A, which was based on clarity I had repeatedly requested and been given. Now it's been turned into someone else's Plan A and a delay in my own plan. The sad thing is that, ultimately, when we treat people badly, like commodities, and we disrespect them just because the context we're in gives us the so-called power to do so, all we're doing is firmly closing any doors that would otherwise have remained open. 

I normally have a thing about not closing doors, but I've learnt, as my boundaries have improved, that some doors just aren't worth leaving ajar. 

                                                                 A selfie at a gig in 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to place a comment here.